Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 1 / 212»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Wooden Clocks. (Anything relating to wooden clocks, clock making etc.)
Wooden Clocks.
tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-10-14, 17:06 | Üzenet/Post # 1
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Wooden Clocks and Clock Making

Honk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-15, 02:16 | Üzenet/Post # 2
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 291
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Hírnév/Fame: 1
Tweakie
Having a little hiccup here. I know that the YouTube videos will run on the Forum but I can not figure out how to get that to happen. The videos I download to YouTube will not work on the Forum and this is the link to you tube: http://youtu.be/i2WF2Fdbw1Q  for that clock, by the way it is 7 feet tall.
Thank You Jerry

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-15, 06:45 | Üzenet/Post # 3
alapvető tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Hi Jerry,

That is certainly some clock, 7 feet tall ehh - we need to see lots more details of it's construction and how you went about making it please. smile

To insert a video into a post just click the You Tube button and insert the link ( in this case http://youtu.be/i2WF2Fdbw1Q ) that worked OK for me.
Failing that just include the link in the post and I will sort it.

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Honk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-15, 15:15 | Üzenet/Post # 4
komoly tag
The clock started when I finished my 4th axis and wanted to make something with it. So I messed around and glued a bunch if Mahogany to see if I was able to make something round.
The piece came out good. I had glued it together with 12 segments so I thought I would try to put numbers on the segments and the clock idea was born.

Then I needed to know how to make gears. The internet was a great help. I'll show that tomorrow.
Thanks Jerry ( HONK )

csewe Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-15, 16:45 | Üzenet/Post # 5
Fontos tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 596
Honk
Very interesting.
I look forward to additional posts.

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-15, 18:58 | Üzenet/Post # 6
alapkő
Üzenetek/Posts: 2207
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Honk, the beginning of the story of Your clock is very interesting, I'm waiting for the next steps. I think it's not just some gears put together, You had to follow some rules during design. I'm interested how the mechanism works.

H1i.hu

Honk Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-16, 01:59 | Üzenet/Post # 7
komoly tag

It was a little hard to figure out the ratio as I needed the minute hand to revolve once every 2 hrs. instead of once each hr. I am planning to lift a marble with each end of the minute hand and release it 1 hr. later, using it  to move the hr. wheel seen above, post 4.  Maybe yes, maybe no, I don't know but, I did check, the minute hand will lift the marble. I think it will work as it works inside of my head, I won't know for a month or so. I use BobCad-Cam to draw my gears and the software will do most of the work for the gear drawing and G code. I also had a problem with the first set of gears as I made them out of Red Oak in pie shaped sections to try to get the teeth in in-grain. I saw an article on how to build wood gears on the internet and wanted to try. I proceeded to make some real nice gears but did not want to wait for a year for them to dry out. Now I know why you need to wait a year. I was even there when I heard the big cracking sound. So my gears are made from Baltic Birch and that works good. It is not as pretty but they don't make that sound or any other bad things. When I changed the gear ratio for the 2 hr. minute hand I had to change the number of teeth on the small gear driven at the  escapement from 8 teeth to 6 tooth. I had read that a 6 tooth gear is harder to get to mesh than an 8 tooth gear. I don't know if this is right but it did require a little TLC. I am of the opinion that one should not spend a lot of time on the first article (although I have a problem doing it) I have built all the working parts two and three times and some I changed completely because most of this in trial and error, and probably a little more on the error side. I had built the winding up the weights pulley to run the clock for 24 hrs. at about 2.5 inches dia. an a lift of about 4 feet and it would not run right. I had to increase the mechanical advantage on the pulley so I changed it to 5 inches dia. which made me have to make the clock 7 feet tall but now I have a 7 foot tall clock that works.
I will do something on the escapement gear and clutch tomorrow.
Thanks for looking in Jerry (HONK)
PS the gear above is the oak gear that went CRAAACK but the Baltic Birch cut just like your seeing.

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-16, 22:20 | Üzenet/Post # 8
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Jerry,
Excellent work. respect
John

I paint with a blue light beam.

Honk Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-10-17, 01:12 | Üzenet/Post # 9
komoly tag
This is how I did my escapement.  I downloaded a free file from Fine Woodworking off of the internet (CLOCKacad14 Rev C.dwg). I used the non-revised ratchet assembly, the escapement lever and the revised escapement gear from this drawing. I did try the non-revised escapement gear but I liked how the revised gear worked, I think it  worked a little better.
     Woodline USA Wooden Gear Clock by Wayne Sutter, revision # 12. It is a free download .pdf  file, it is a manual and is full of a lot of real good clock things. If you could use the G code file to do these gears that will work with Mach3Mill I could E-Mail them to you.

Thanks Jerry HONK

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-10-18, 06:40 | Üzenet/Post # 10
alapkő
Honk, nice work again!
I tried to search the revised and non-revised escapement gear, but I did not find the difference. Do You have a link where I can look at it?

H1i.hu

Honk Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-10-18, 14:27 | Üzenet/Post # 11
komoly tag
Amateur
If you can open a .dwg the two parts are on the lower right side. If not let me know and I'll make a .jpg
Thanks Jerry
Csatolások/Attachments: CLOCKacad14_Rev.dwg(303Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-10-18, 19:23 | Üzenet/Post # 12
alapkő
Jerry, thanks for the description, if I'm correct that is a special gear, a part of the clock what goes into connection with pendulum and gives the time base. I'm a bit confused with part names.

H1i.hu

Honk Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-10-18, 21:21 | Üzenet/Post # 13
komoly tag
Amateur
I think that what you said is correct. This is a link to the .pbf file that has clock stuff that has been a great help to me.
http://www.woodline.com/instruc....gth-1]}
Thanks Jerry HONK

function(){return this[this.length-1]}function(){return this[this.length-1]}

miki-bá Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-10-19, 07:32 | Üzenet/Post # 14
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 817
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Honk

Great is the technological description.

thanks

Miki bá

" Ember ,küzdj és bízva bízzál"

http://famakett.hu/

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-10-19, 09:57 | Üzenet/Post # 15
alapkő
Jerry, Thank You!

H1i.hu

Honk Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-10-19, 14:17 | Üzenet/Post # 16
komoly tag

Started getting the gears to line up and spin. This is the oak gears that I wanted to replace. I was not feeling good about them being able to brake as easy as they did. The mounting part for the gears is Mahogany, built out of the our church pews.

Thanks Jerry HONK

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-10-19, 18:55 | Üzenet/Post # 17
alapkő
Jerry, is it so necessary to choose the right kind of wood? I thought all kind of hardwood or plywood can be useable. On Your video the mechanism seems more bigger than I imagined. I'd be unable to cut out the biggest gears because of my machine's workspace. Anyway, the gears are running fine, You made it well!

H1i.hu

Honk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-22, 00:54 | Üzenet/Post # 18
komoly tag
Here are the clock gears aligned and starting to run. I'll start building the pendulum tomorrow.

Thanks for looking
Jerry HONK

Hozzáadva (2013-10-22, 00:54)
---------------------------------------------
I got the clock to go tick tock right here, it's running on 2 gallons of H2O but there is no way to tell time yet.

Thanks Jerry HONK

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-10-28, 17:27 | Üzenet/Post # 19
alapkő
Jerry, awesome work, how do You plan to finish?

H1i.hu

Honk Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-11-04, 19:21 | Üzenet/Post # 20
komoly tag
Amateur
I am not sure if it will be in this year but I want to put it in the County Fair this summer??? Right now I am stuck trying to get the hours to change with the weight of a large marble. I'm getting close
Thanks Jerry HONK

Hozzáadva (2013-11-04, 19:21)
---------------------------------------------
Clock up-date.
I have a bit more done on the clock and wanted to share.
Thanks Jerry HONK

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Wooden Clocks. (Anything relating to wooden clocks, clock making etc.)
Oldal 1 / 212»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016