Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 12 / 40«1210111213143940»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » PicDither - PicEngrave - PicLaser. (Anything relating to these softwares can be discussed here.)
PicDither - PicEngrave - PicLaser.
tweakie Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-06-23, 06:44 | Üzenet/Post # 1
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Anything relating to - PicDither - PicEngrave - PicLaser etc.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-10-20, 23:18 | Üzenet/Post # 221
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
John,

That came out very good and I sure like using the 45 degree option. It appears that you don't need the Pixel Resolution set as small as when running Horizontal or Vertical, but get similar results. I have not confirmed, but theoretically it should take less time to engrave the same size image this way. Have you determined that in your testing?

I did this one today on the servo machine set at 155IPM, 30% VFR, .006" PR, 2/5 power running right @ 45 degrees.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 6777902.jpg(103Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-10-21, 02:11 | Üzenet/Post # 222
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Thanks Jeff,
I have not been able to stay at my machine much for a few days, and I forgot to check engraving time difference.  I'll try to do so tomorrow.

Your last image is so much better than I would have dreamed possible a few months ago.  The 45° sure seems to have made an improvement.  Now it's time to find a better wood.  I did try some cypress, which burns good, but the grain is just too strong and detracting.
John

I paint with a blue light beam.

Honk Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-10-21, 03:50 | Üzenet/Post # 223
komoly tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 291
Hírnév/Fame: 1
John
    This stuff you all are doing with 45 deg. is beautiful. Do you think it will improve what I am doing with my CO2 laser??? That picture that Jeff just did is Way Good too!
Thanks Jerry

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 02:01 | Üzenet/Post # 224
Fontos tag
Thanks Jerry.  Appreciated.
PM sent.
John

Hozzáadva (2013-10-22, 13:01)
---------------------------------------------
Jeff and Tweakie,
To answer your earlier questions regarding the 45° angle engraving improvement, it does appear directly related to a decreased feed rate effect.  I ran some tests using a 10 gray shade test pattern, and the angle time (6.45min.) was about 1.4 times the horizontal time (4.48 min.).  This corresponds to the formula for the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle - length = sqrt (w^2 + h^2), or in the case of a 1 x 1 image pixel, 1.41, which is the square root of 2.  When I reduced the feed rate of the horizontal engraving by 1.4 times that of the angled feed rate (90/1.41 = 63.8), the test patterns were almost identical in shading and engraving times were within seconds for each.

I think there may also be a slight improvement with engraving at an angle to the wood grain (from reduced line spacing?), but it appears very slight and probably near impossible to quantify to any degree.

I ran my tests on scrap wood, so pictures are not publishable, but I do plan to do a more carefully controlled test later and will publish some images then.

Mach3's feed rate blending algorithm undoubtedly has some effect on test results, but it appears to be minimal.

Lots yet to learn.
John

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Szerda, 2013-10-23, 02:02

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 02:06 | Üzenet/Post # 225
Fontos tag
Today's effort.  Baltic birch plywood, 0.006 pixel resolution, 35% feed rate change, 45° left angle, 85 ipm max feed rate - 6" x 8" - about 3 hours.
John

Csatolások/Attachments: 1283957.jpg(111Kb)

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 13:29 | Üzenet/Post # 226
komoly tag
Bravo John. hands

That's interesting information concerning the 45 degree engraving time verses horizontal or vertical. Now I'm curious if my servo machine's ratio is much different then my stepper machine. Another test in the future. biggrin

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2013-10-23, 13:35

Honk Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 15:35 | Üzenet/Post # 227
komoly tag
John
This is one of my grand children, he works up in the oil country. I did this with the PEP4, 423 Bata. I did the finished one with TTL , in horizontal and it came out pretty good but I attempted to do the 45 deg. using Laser Analog at 45 deg. and it came out splotchy ( the lighter colors ). In the picture you can see where I tried a number of different settings and speeds. Could you take a look at my setup and see what I should make different? Or maybe
Thank You Jerry

Csatolások/Attachments: 3981342.jpg(142Kb) · 1611292.jpg(70Kb) · 6405814.jpg(101Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 16:22 | Üzenet/Post # 228
Fontos tag
Thanks Jeff.  I will be interested to see your test results.

Jerry,
I don't have any CO2 laser experience, but I don't think you can modulate the laser power enough to use analog control.  The power of your laser is too high to allow it.  I think that this is evidenced by your setting the Max depth at -.0001, which leaves only on or off control possible, but PEP will try to generate an analog gcode anyway, but it will not do so accurately with such low value settings.  From middle gray to white, the laser will be off, and from middle gray to black, it will be full on, giving you the "splotchy" results.  You will need to keep using dithered images.
John

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Szerda, 2013-10-23, 16:25

Honk Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 18:11 | Üzenet/Post # 229
komoly tag
Hi John
Thanks for the reply.
As you know, I'm not the brightest bulb in the batch, but I am a persistent slow learner. Two questions:
    1- If I understand, if by changing the -0.0001 to some other number  I will not change how my CO2 laser burns (using Analog). Where does dither stop? Boy am I confused.
    2- Can 45 deg. be added to TTL ?
If you dither you don't have as many shades of gray to work with, Is this right? (oops that's 3 questions).
Thanks again Jerry

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-23, 19:00 | Üzenet/Post # 230
Fontos tag
Hi Jerry,
There are two basic types of laser controllers, TTL and Analog (OK, analog also covers several types).  I believe that you are using a TTL only controller, which means it only turn on or off.  So for control, you give the controller a +5 volt signal to turn it on, and a 0 volt signal to turn it off.

An analog controller will accept a control voltage that changes smoothly from off to on, and will proportionally adjust the power to the laser from minimum to maximum.  So, a 0 volt signal will set the laser to minimum power, a  2.5 volt signal sets it to half power, and 5 volts sets it to maximum power.  This is what we use for laser diodes.

So, to answer to your questions:
1 - changing the -.0001 to some other number will not change how your laser burns.

2- I will add 45 angles to TTL and VFR in later updates, but no promises when.

3- Dithering is another subject unto itself.  It will help you to understand the process by reading this link:
http://www.picengrave.com/Laser%20Setups.pdf
The last part discusses image dithering.  Simply put, dithering simulates gray shade values using only black dots on a white background, no gray colors are used.

Hope this helps,
John

Honk Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-10-24, 02:01 | Üzenet/Post # 231
komoly tag
John
    Don't get nervous yet. But what do you think about putting a 2 watt diode laser on with my CO2 laser. I could switch from one to the other and have twice as much fun. Other than I get some pretty good stuff now and we almost got this figured out. Some of what I see all of you on the forum doing, with a diode laser, makes me think I am using a hatchet and cold chisel to preform watch repair.
    Thank you for the information you sent it has cleared up a few things in question.
    Is there an easy answer to why a 40 watt CO2 laser going at 100 IPM can do the same  amount of work as a 2 watt Diode laser? You should think it would be able to do 20 times the work.
Thanks again
Jerry

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-10-24, 05:32 | Üzenet/Post # 232
Fontos tag
Jerry,
I think that setting up your machine for CO2 and a laser diode is certainly possible.  Having seen some fine examples of your craftsmanship, I'm sure you could design a suitable conversion setup.

As to your question about the differences between your CO2 and a laser diode, I don't know.  Perhaps that can be answered by Tweakie or someone else with CO2 experience  It does seem as though you should be able to operate much faster than you now do.  Jeff is running way faster than you with his dual diode setup, and with much less laser power than your 40 watts.  Perhaps Rob will step in here as he has a CO2 setup similar to yours.  Maybe you can post some data about your CO2 such as voltages and tube currents that will help others understand why your laser seems underpowered.

That aside, maybe you might consider building another machine specifically for a laser diode.  It can be much less complex than your present machine.  I am building another myself and will post a few pictures of my simple design in a few days.  It is a moving table design with a working area of about 10" square, but it could be scaled up.  You might also look at the mechanical X/Y stages available here:
http://www.lightobject.com/Laser-CNC-C11.aspx

I'm using one on my present machine.

John

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Csütörtök, 2013-10-24, 05:36

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-10-28, 19:06 | Üzenet/Post # 233
Fontos tag
I did this one today for you Brits. smile

John
Csatolások/Attachments: 6566351.jpg(96Kb)

Honk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-29, 02:09 | Üzenet/Post # 234
komoly tag
John
Good job. Was that 45 Deg.
Jerry

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-29, 02:20 | Üzenet/Post # 235
Fontos tag
Thanks Jerry.  Yes, left angle.

For what it's worth, I tried a TTL today.  First time with my big machine, but I didn't finish because it was so sloooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I had feed rate set at 100 ipm, pixel resolution at .006, and the blended feed rate was averaging 25 to 30 ipm.  I changed pixel resolution to .010 inches, and the BFR went to about 50 ipm, but the image was burning too light.

John

Honk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-29, 02:51 | Üzenet/Post # 236
komoly tag
John
I just spotted this on EBay for 199.00 + 28 to ship but I don't know if TTL Modulation/Adjustable is the same as Analog Modulation. Do you know??
Thanks Jerry

http://www.ebay.com/itm....c27a3e3

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Honk - Kedd, 2013-10-29, 02:52

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-29, 03:22 | Üzenet/Post # 237
Fontos tag
No Jerry, it has to say ANALOG modulation and provide the specs for the analog control voltage.  That unit is TTL only, same as you're doing now.
John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-29, 08:25 | Üzenet/Post # 238
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Nice work John. smile

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-10-29, 19:19 | Üzenet/Post # 239
Fontos tag
Thank you kind sir.  Much appreciated.
John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-10-30, 18:32 | Üzenet/Post # 240
komoly tag
Jerry,

The Flexmod P3 analog modulation laser diode drivers are now in stock. I received mine today. You would have to buy a 445nm laser diode, add heat sink, power supply, a way to drive the 0-5V modulation and do all the wiring yourself, but this would most likely be your best option. Make sure you include a Lasorb for a 445nm also.

http://innolasers.com/ebay/laser_diode/FlexModP3.php

Jeff

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » PicDither - PicEngrave - PicLaser. (Anything relating to these softwares can be discussed here.)
Oldal 12 / 40«1210111213143940»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016