Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 1 / 11
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » A little project for a rainy day. (Tool De-Magnetization.)
A little project for a rainy day.
tweakie Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-05-27, 12:02 | Üzenet/Post # 1
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
A little project for a rainy day.

After some experimentation of wooden clock gearing using small neodymium magnets instead of teeth I encountered a problem. First, one of my small screwdrivers became magnetic then it spread, like a virus, to most of my other small bench tools and having used some steel wool (on a previous occasion) almost all my tools were picking up minute, unwanted steel whiskers.
Having seen a de-magnetizer project on eHow I set about making one and this is how I did it.

Taking an old, unwanted, mains power unit (from a long gone printer) I removed the transformer. The Mu laminations were carefully removed, the ‘I’ sections discarded (well some have been kept as lathe tool packing pieces) and the ‘E’ sections replaced, all in the same direction. The first ‘E’ is the hardest to remove but don’t worry if it is damaged or bent because on replacement they all fit back, except one, so the damaged one can be discarded.
It is only the mains, primary, winding that is used so the secondary windings are just left open circuit.
I fitted a small piece of iron onto the centre pole using epoxy then cut an appropriate sized hole in a project box and glued in the transformer again using epoxy.

When the transformer laminations layout is altered in this way, the whole flux pattern is changed and as a result it is necessary to limit the current flowing through the winding. This is best achieved by using a mains rated capacitor connected in series (the larger the capacitance value the larger the current and visa versa). The original mains lead was re-used and the de-magnetizer was tested - it works just beautifully and removed all the residual magnetism from my small bench tools in just seconds.

The capacitor I used was a 2uF 400Volts starter capacitor and this is connected in series with the coil. Incidentally if the capacitor used does not already contain a shunt resistor then a 1 Megohm 5W resistor should be fitted across the capacitor to discharge it once power is disconnected.

Tweakie.



Csatolások/Attachments: 5517032.jpg(46Kb) · 0355921.jpg(33Kb) · 1896868.jpg(44Kb) · 8962826.jpg(49Kb)


Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
 
sanyi84 Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-05-27, 19:04 | Üzenet/Post # 2
aktív tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 217
Kitüntetések/Medals: 2
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Hi. Sorry for the web translation. May be with a transformer and a coil would have been plainer. Only a bridge a rectifier is needed and then a switch and already to magnetize can, just burns that way that a screwdriver magnetize onto so much that catches it the screw. this was good so though, you look great.
 
lui3 Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-05-27, 19:50 | Üzenet/Post # 3
barátkozó tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 93
Kitüntetések/Medals: 0
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Helyzet/Status: Offline
tweakie, very fair!
 
tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-05-28, 07:47 | Üzenet/Post # 4
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Good suggestion sanyi84 - a series diode with a parallel switch would give the option of Magnetize / De-Magnetize, if required.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 4473926.jpg(13Kb)


Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » A little project for a rainy day. (Tool De-Magnetization.)
Oldal 1 / 11
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016