Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 3 / 27«123452627»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » CO2 Lasers. (Anything relating to CO2 Lasers can be discussed here.)
CO2 Lasers.
Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-09, 17:36 | Üzenet/Post # 41
alapkő
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 2207
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Helyzet/Status: Offline
tweakie, pfff... very nice result! This picture is full of life! Like a photo. Congratulations!

H1i.hu

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-10-10, 07:37 | Üzenet/Post # 42
alapvető tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Thanks guys.

The final result is largely, if not totally, dependant on the composition of the original image.
Because not all images are suitable it is often just a matter of trying it to see the result.
There is probably an easy way to tell what will be good and what will be bad before it is burned but so far I have not discovered a foolproof method. angry

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-10-15, 13:35 | Üzenet/Post # 43
alapvető tag
Here in the UK Winter is coming fast and if anyone, like me, has their glass-tube laser located in an outside workshop and lives in a similar seasonal location, it is always wise to take precautions to prevent a cooling system freeze-up.

I have a 5 deg.C ‘frost-stat’ workshop heater but that could fail so my laser tube cooling system comprises Distilled water with 30% vehicle antifreeze added. The system is closed-loop and fully contained but precautions must always be taken to ensure that children or pets cannot possibly gain access to the coolant.

WARNING – If you use antifreeze please be aware that it is a particularly dangerous substance and can, even in extremely small quantities, be deadly to cats as well as extremely toxic to young children.

Tweakie.

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-16, 19:58 | Üzenet/Post # 44
alapkő
tweakie, Thank You for useful info! Although I have no laser tube, I'm interested in this theme. What type of antifreeze did You use? A regular or the new one used for aluminium coolers? Does not the antifreeze bring on deposit on glass parts?

H1i.hu

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-10-17, 07:02 | Üzenet/Post # 45
alapvető tag
Hi Amator,

I have used Ethylene Glycol antifreeze for the last 4 years without any ill effects to the various parts in my cooling system which does not actually have any aluminium parts. There are no deposits created on the glass or within the silicon tubing etc. in fact it prevents any mould growth which could possibly happen if just distilled water on it’s own was used.

There a couple of brands of ‘pet-safe’ antifreeze available but this is not as easy to obtain as the standard vehicle stuff. One day the ‘pet-safe’ will be the standard but it will take a few years to catch on.

Tweakie.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-11-11, 15:17 | Üzenet/Post # 46
alapvető tag
I am following with great interest the work being produced and shown by the guys in the Diode Laser thread. Really excellent work. cool

A couple of images I just had to try with the CO2 laser – Jeff’s train was produced using GCode generated by John’s PicLaser software using the Sierra algorithm and Amator’s engraving was reproduced using the Mach3 plugin.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 4497512.jpg(67Kb) · 6530369.jpg(99Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-11-11, 17:46 | Üzenet/Post # 47
alapkő
tweakie, that was fast! I was bring this image just some hours ago. Excellent quality!

H1i.hu

tweakie Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-11-11, 18:05 | Üzenet/Post # 48
alapvető tag
tweakie, that was fast! I was bring this image just some hours ago. Excellent quality!

biggrin The Mach3 plugin runs with an X axis speed of 3000mm/min so it is pretty quick.

Tweakie.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-05, 11:18 | Üzenet/Post # 49
alapvető tag
Interesting ??

A recent, accidental, discovery (not by me) when laser cutting a mask in preparation for paint spraying revealed that the adhesive and or mask somehow fuses with the ceramic surface glaze on wall tiles.

Obviously I had to give it a try and this is the result of my first test. I am not certain about the long-term durability but this has been through my dishwasher once without any noticeable degradation – if it survives say 10 cycles through the dishwasher then I would say that it is pretty permanent.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 0416424.jpg(28Kb)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-01-08, 09:51 | Üzenet/Post # 50
alapvető tag
After some experimentation it appears that the process works with most masking materials. It appears that the burning / vaporizing of the mask produces carbon soot which combines with, or is trapped within, the surface glaze of the ceramic (with masks that produce the most soot being the most effective).

For my tests I am using paper backed ‘transfer tape’ (as would be used for positioning vinyl signs) but different makes of this tape and different thicknesses produce different shades of marking so some experimentation will be necessary. Just a word of caution - for safety reasons any masking material containing PVC should not be used.

I have taken the liberty of using a couple of KisKZ’s excellent sketches to experiment with and because, unlike wood, the ceramic does not accept ‘shades’ most images will need to be dithered (‘PicDither’) in order to create the illusion of shade and thus produce the best detail.

The first example was a bit too dark and the second perhaps too light but judging the correct brightness / contrast ratio of the original image before dithering does take a lot of practice.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 8138864.jpg(59Kb) · 4793076.jpg(55Kb)

Honk Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-02-16, 02:00 | Üzenet/Post # 51
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 291
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Hírnév/Fame: 1
I am not sure if this is where I am suppose to do this but I'll give it a try. I have my laser about ready to wire up, just finished the paint and I want to install the window. I built the opening around a large 1/4 inch plate glass table top I had saved for something and I'm a bit confused if this is the place for it. It is not tempered but it is in good shape. I don't know about the frequency stuff that keeps things protected (eyes, skin etc.) But was wondering if there was something that could be put on the glass to do this?
Thanks Honk (jerry)

Hozzáadva (2013-02-16, 02:00)
---------------------------------------------
I don't know how to do this but here is a try.
this is my laser in the early stages of construction. I dont know how to link this but here is my first attempt.
http://youtu.be/3cORoQANr9M

Csatolások/Attachments: 7781647.jpg(133Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-02-16, 03:12 | Üzenet/Post # 52
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Jerry,
Glad to see you here.  I'm sure Tweakie will know the answer to your question.

Sure is an impressive looking machine you're building.  Anxious to see some output from it.

Best to You,
John

I paint with a blue light beam.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-02-16, 08:16 | Üzenet/Post # 53
alapvető tag
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forum.

An excellent looking machine you are building there.  cool
The personal protection depends on the wavelength of the laser being used - if it is a CO2 laser (10600nm) then the beam will not pass through glass so your 'table top' window will be OK.

I am really looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your project as it progresses.

Tweakie.

Honk Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-02-17, 03:20 | Üzenet/Post # 54
komoly tag
Tweakie 
Thanks for the info on the glass. Also thanks for the therad on antifreeze, Etholine Gelicol .( If the spelling is a little off it's cause I'm from Montana and our antifreeze gets a lot colder.) All I have read about it for co2 laser had me worried. You set my mind at ease, Thanks. I was thinking about how to drain it each time and that could create a lot of problems.
Thank you again
Honk (jerry)

Hozzáadva (2013-02-17, 03:20)
---------------------------------------------
John
How do you set the Pic Engrave Pro to not cut the edge? Also the angle when it cuts, how are the settings arranged to change this? I can remove the G code for the edge but was wondering if there is a setting in the program. I'm building a program to try it on my router and will show you, but only if I can get it to make something good.
Thanks Jerry (Honk)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-02-17, 14:14 | Üzenet/Post # 55
alapvető tag
Something that had to be tried…

Others have had a lot of success using lasers to melt / fuse printer Toner onto the surface of wood and I just wondered if it would work with copper clad PCB material.

There are a couple of difficulties to be overcome – firstly getting a thin and even layer
of the toner powder onto the copper surface and secondly getting a low enough
power level from a 40 Watt laser so as not to completely vaporise the toner.

Once these challenges have been overcome – it is a breeze. Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 2196552.jpg(45Kb) · 1238817.jpg(42Kb) · 6306653.jpg(34Kb) · 3048749.jpg(26Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-02-17, 16:09 | Üzenet/Post # 56
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Hi Jerry,
All setting are selectable by clicking on the settings button after an image is loaded and displaying.  Also, on the menu at the top of the screen, click on Help, then Instructions to read more about the different settings for the program.  In the laser edition, which is still beta, the instructions do not cover all possible settings, but the ones not covered should be fairly intuitive.

I would post a screen shot now, but I am in the middle of installing a new 3 TB hard drive (Windows finally got corrupted beyond repair on my old drive) and reinstalling Windows 7 and have not reinstalled my source codes yet.  It is taking far longer than I had hoped, but I had 5 years of junk files to sort through.  sad

John

I paint with a blue light beam.

Honk Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-02-18, 01:48 | Üzenet/Post # 57
komoly tag
Hello all
I am doing some figuring on my laser for the H2O hook-up. I am considering on 40W CO2  as suggested by Tweakie and for now I am just going to circulate 5 gallons of water with antifreeze. My flow switch is rated at .75 GPM. I found a submercable pond pump rated at 80 gallons per hour at our local hardware store. Will this be enough flow for a 40W system?
Thanks Jerry (Honk)

John
I found it! Thanks and lots of luck an the hard drive.  Been there done that and it does take twice as long.
Jerry

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-02-18, 10:48 | Üzenet/Post # 58
alapvető tag
Hi Jerry,

Your intended pump sounds OK to me but you need to keep a check on you water temperature rise during laser use (at least to start with). 

Antifreeze will increase the viscosity of the cooling fluid (reducing it’s flow rate) and a submersible pump will, in itself, increase the cooling fluid’s temperature.

I am using ethylene glycol because it has a lower viscosity than propylene glycol but it is a dangerous product to use and there is an absolute need to prevent (accidental or otherwise) contact with or ingestion by humans and pets.

Everything in life has it’s dangers so we need to be vigilant and observe all necessary safety precautions in all things that we do.

Tweakie.

Honk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-02-19, 03:04 | Üzenet/Post # 59
komoly tag

Thought you mighi like to see an update on my project: Glass in on , sheet metal, Paint and Light. No laser yet.
Tweakie and John Thanks for your help
Jerry Honk
Csatolások/Attachments: 9195914.jpg(38Kb)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-02-19, 08:05 | Üzenet/Post # 60
alapvető tag
Hi Jerry,

It's looking good.  smile

Keep in mind that you will also need a small air pump for the 'air assist'. This performs two functions - firstly it protects the focus lens from particles and fumes and secondly it aids cutting by removing the carbon from the kerf.

Tweakie.

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » CO2 Lasers. (Anything relating to CO2 Lasers can be discussed here.)
Oldal 3 / 27«123452627»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016