Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 17 / 27«1215161718192627»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » CO2 Lasers. (Anything relating to CO2 Lasers can be discussed here.)
CO2 Lasers.
tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-07-22, 07:00 | Üzenet/Post # 321
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Truly excellent work with those tiles Dave. respect

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Dave Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-07-22, 10:01 | Üzenet/Post # 322
aktív tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Thanks guys,
After lasering the shiny side of the tile, I used black shoe polish (the waxy kind) applied liberally and rubbed in with my fingers. Buff it with a rag to get off the excess. I gave it a spray of polyurethane after it dried. When I told my better half I needed to get some pads, she handed me a bunch of little sticky plastic feet.
I ordered a box of  'laserglass' which is supposed to be 6x6 glass tiles with a backing that lasers easily. They need to have a contrasting color applied after lasering. Time will tell. They also have white ceramic tiles that are supposed to turn black where the laser hits them without damaging the shiny surface glaze.
Dave

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Dave - Hétfő, 2013-07-22, 10:17

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-07-22, 17:10 | Üzenet/Post # 323
alapvető tag
Dave,

If the shoe polish works then continue using it but others (on the SMC forum) use Rub'n'Buff - which is pretty much the same thing except it has a solvent base and dries to a hard finish.

I would be most interested to hear about how you get on with the 'LaserGlass' and the special ceramic tiles.

Tweakie.

Dave Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-07-22, 18:11 | Üzenet/Post # 324
aktív tag
Thanks Tweakie! I'll have a look for it next time I'm going into town. For the laser glass, the etching's done on the back side where paint will probably do just fine. For the plain ceramic tile I have, it sounds like just what I'm looking for.

It'll be a while before I can afford to order some of the white laser tile, it's not cheap, and I bet the shipping charges are steep too. smile
Dave

Dave Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-07-26, 13:05 | Üzenet/Post # 325
aktív tag
The fun continues...... My son gave me a wet saw last month, used it to cut black granite tile into some 6" squares. It took several attempts before I got the picture and it's background adjusted reasonably because I have to use a negative image on black stuff. Lasered at 100% speed (1000ipm), 35% power, 0.002" stepover with the background color just barely tinting the granite. Run time was about 25 minutes. This one was just the eagle on a flat background. I need to pixel-smith the original image with its trees/clouds background.
Dave

Csatolások/Attachments: 7674508.jpg(95Kb)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-07-26, 13:31 | Üzenet/Post # 326
alapvető tag
As always, nice work Dave.

Tweakie.

Dave Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-08-01, 03:27 | Üzenet/Post # 327
aktív tag
LaserGlass arrived today. Well packed with foam pads between the tiles. They're black, 6" square and about as thick as window glass with a shiny black coating on the back. Edges look like they've been flame polished so there's no sharp edges. Didn't have a chance to try a test run today, hopefully will get to it in the next day or so.
Dave

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-08-01, 06:36 | Üzenet/Post # 328
alapvető tag
I'm getting excited already biggrin

Tweakie.

Dave Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-08-02, 01:17 | Üzenet/Post # 329
aktív tag
Managed to try out the laserglass. It's harder to burn than I anticipated, ended up using 100% power/80% speed. Took just under a half-hour at a stepover of 0.002". I like the polished tile edges. After burning off the black coating, I filled the area with silver spray paint.

I'd really like to find some clear glass tiles with polished edges and without any coating on the back - paint on glass burns very easily and the burned area can be filled with a contrasting color.

Also found some stone tile on my last trip to the local home depot - fairly small black stones (marble I think) attached to a mesh
backing. These things burn very easily, etching into the stone enough that you can feel it. Might make an interesting handle for a key chain.
Dave

Csatolások/Attachments: 9924361.jpg(101Kb) · 6578618.jpg(53Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Dave - Péntek, 2013-08-02, 01:33

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-08-02, 06:26 | Üzenet/Post # 330
alapvető tag
Excellent work Dave. respect

Tweakie.

Dave Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-08-05, 04:17 | Üzenet/Post # 331
aktív tag
It's been really quiet here lately.... smile Kinda reminds me of the ending line in Orson Welles' adaptation of the War of the Worlds where a far away radio operator says "2X2L calling CQ. Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there anyone on the air? Isn't there... anyone?"
Dave

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-08-05, 07:15 | Üzenet/Post # 332
alapvető tag
Hi Dave,

I don't know about the others but I am busy working biggrin

Made a lot of tags from 6mm acrylic last week so fed this one in, just for my own amusement.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 1095273.jpg(15Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-08-05, 13:19 | Üzenet/Post # 333
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Tweakie,
Nice.
You are still pushing on my personal 'green' button  smile
JohnC

Hozzáadva (2013-08-05, 13:19)
---------------------------------------------
Dave,
That mirror tile eagle image is excellent.  I predict some home redecorating projects will soon get top billing on your bucket list (unless you're hiding these from The Boss).  biggrin

JohnC

I paint with a blue light beam.

Dave Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-08-05, 14:10 | Üzenet/Post # 334
aktív tag
Looks great Tweakie! I haven't tried acrylic yet, though I think I have some in the scrap bucket. I'll have to put it on the to-do list. btw, what's 'work'? I haven't done any of that since I retired biggrin and forgot all about what it's like. Now it's like being on a permanent vacation.

Hi John,
It's not a mirror tile. It's something called laser glass. Comes in 6 inch squares with various colored enamels baked onto the rear side, from http://www.lasertile.com/  Last month they offered a box of it for half price. Looks like it's still available on their website. Edges are polished, so there's no sharp edges. Image quality on it is amazing, much better than I can get on black granite.
I'm waiting to see if they put any of their white lasertile up for the monthly special.
With coreldraw or photopaint, it's possible to break a larger project into 6 inch or smaller squares and do each one separately. It's fairly hard to burn, so I doubt the diode lasers would do the job. Alternative would be paint on window glass which burns lots easier followed by an overcoat of a contrasting color.
The glass tiles I find at the local big-box stores all have a colored ceramic baked into the back side that's really very hard to burn through even at full power/slower speed. I tried some of their regular black ceramic tile then filled them with silver RubNBuff and those came out ok.
Some folks who come to the boss's garage sales have been asking if I can do something for them but nothing firm yet. biggrin Might turn into retirement plan B!
Dave

Muk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-08-06, 00:53 | Üzenet/Post # 335
ismerkedő tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 61
Kitüntetések/Medals: 0
I recently dropped in a new DSP (on the account that there are jobs I won't be able to do without one)...and I'm just starting to learn (again) how to use it.

Got it all figured out and keyed in...except for how to start a cut/etch job from a specified point. Tearing my hair out...

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-08-06, 03:26 | Üzenet/Post # 336
aktív tag
On mine, there's a home key that takes the lens to the upper right corner of the table (where the home switches are). After that, I have to use the jog keys to place the lens at the upper left corner of  the workpiece. That's where it starts engraving when I hit the go button. Not sure if your's is the same tho.
Dave

Muk Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-08-06, 16:40 | Üzenet/Post # 337
ismerkedő tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 61
Kitüntetések/Medals: 0
K, got it all figured out now.

My goodness these things cut down on setup time. I can't get over how fast I can drop something in and away it goes!

csewe Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-08-13, 13:05 | Üzenet/Post # 338
Fontos tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 596
Hírnév/Fame: 1
Hi guys.

Ingenious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjRtCjI9AQ

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-08-13, 13:18 | Üzenet/Post # 339
alapvető tag
Well, the principle certainly works but…

This is not, I think, something that will work successfully ‘straight out of the box’, it would require quite a lot of experimentation (perhaps trial and error) to get it just right.

A laser beam does not, in itself, contain any ‘heat’ – it is the reaction of the material it comes into contact with which actually generates the heat. To heat a material enough for it to bend under gravity there has to be a molecular change, this in turn liberates certain gasses which can adversely affect the original material’s structural properties.

From my initial test, with a small piece of polycarbonate, it bent easily enough under gravity but the material became brittle at the point of the bend so it would be necessary to find just the right material to use.
I doubt that cast acrylic would work but extruded or rolled acrylic is perhaps the best choice for further experiments.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 3457418.jpg(9Kb)

csewe Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-08-13, 14:51 | Üzenet/Post # 340
Fontos tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 596
Hírnév/Fame: 1
tweakie.
Good experiment.

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » CO2 Lasers. (Anything relating to CO2 Lasers can be discussed here.)
Oldal 17 / 27«1215161718192627»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016