Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 6 / 51«12456785051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 00:49 | Üzenet/Post # 101
aktív tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Hey Jeff, I'm going to pretend that I didn't see that one smile I'm going to have to wash out my eyes with soap now...
Dave

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 01:36 | Üzenet/Post # 102
komoly tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Dave, you don't think Mrs. Bean is pretty? haha

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 07:14 | Üzenet/Post # 103
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
biggrin biggrin biggrin

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 12:00 | Üzenet/Post # 104
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Drat! Jeff finally found the "UGLY" bug in PEP. I thought I had fixed that one.

John

I paint with a blue light beam.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 13:04 | Üzenet/Post # 105
komoly tag
John, I guess the brightness control you added has an ugly glitch in it. crazy

On a serious note, the white background on that picture was automatically ignored by your program and it cut down on engraving time considerably. cool

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 14:15 | Üzenet/Post # 106
aktív tag
Darn, this burned out hippie just had a 60's musical flashback

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife

surprised

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-02, 22:26 | Üzenet/Post # 107
komoly tag
Dave, how is your circuit working out? Have you fried any wood with it yet?

I did another one today of the rest of the Bean family. Poor rich kid. facepalm

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 2904975.jpg(109Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Kedd, 2012-10-02, 22:32

Dave Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-10-04, 14:11 | Üzenet/Post # 108
aktív tag
Been playing some comparing picengrave & pvc. Picengrave looks like it produces clearer images, but nothing to report so far. Hopefully will have some pics later this week, have some other projects around the house that I have to get to first. Laser's still working good, at least I haven't fried that yet.
Dave

Hozzáadva (2012-10-04, 3:11 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Jeff, you mentioned that the program skips over white areas. That's a useful feature considering the time it takes to do a complete image. I'm thinking that it might be useful to be able to set a threshold value and have the program skip over areas lighter than that - in a manner similar to pvc skipping a particular color.
Dave

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Dave - Csütörtök, 2012-10-04, 14:11

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 00:31 | Üzenet/Post # 109
komoly tag
Hi Dave,

John added that automatic function because I mentioned to him that sometimes I may laser engrave using TTL modulation with black and white clipart images. Like from here. http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/ The only time I used the make color transparent function in PVC is when I was pulsing the laser to engrave dithered black and white images or the clipart. It is an automatic feature in the new PEP Laser Edition and you do not even have to select the white areas to make it transparent.

When laser engraving 8bit images, if any shade is slightly darker then white, I myself prefer to lightly laser engrave it for detail reasons. I just wish my laser was outputting as much watts as yours to be able to run at a higher feedrate. 50 IPM is max for me and I'm using .008" pixel resolution to eliminate the visual burn lines in the image. I may get slightly more wattage when I add the extra power supply and get the laser diode to run allot cooler.

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2012-10-05, 00:52

Dave Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 06:02 | Üzenet/Post # 110
aktív tag
I'm wondering if the modulator board isn't driving your laser at a lower power level (if it's the same one with ttl/analog modulation that I got). I don't know how you could verify if that were true.
I also find that birch ply is hard to burn, and I have to slow the feed a bit and crank up the modulation level. The luan ply I have is way way way easier to burn, but it has an intense grain pattern. I'm still looking for something w/o the grain that's easier to burn. I've read that basswood is good for wood-burning, I might pick up a piece next time I'm near Michaels.
Dave

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 11:27 | Üzenet/Post # 111
komoly tag
It's the same one, but he may have adjusted the pot for amp output down some on mine because I fried it twice and had to return it for repairs. He also added the LasOrb last time also and it may lower the output a little too. It wires across the positive and negative of the diode input. I'm only guessing and have not checked the actual amp draw on it. I have a stack of birch ply and that is what I mostly use. Maybe 50 IPM is pretty good for a feedrate on that material. That is what I used on the last 2 engravings I posted and I ran them both at 50 IPM.

I tried basswood and it does burn easier and a little darker, but I still can't run it no more then 50 IPM without effecting the detail. What kind of feedrate are you able to run at on the birch ply at full throttle with your laser?

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 13:46 | Üzenet/Post # 112
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Jeff and Dave,

I think that the blended feed rate is the important number in Mach3, not the set feed rate. It can vary considerably with depth of cut (burn), slowing down on deeper cuts, and speeding up on shallow cuts. And I believe that blended speed response may not be linear, hence causing the loss of some detail as the burn lightens (can't test this until I get analog modulation working). I take advantage of this varying speed in PEP by having the gcode skip over the white areas (no burn), thus allowing the steppers/servos to accelerate closer to set feed rate. I'm very interested in Jeff's new project to see if an increase in laser power will improve feed rate without the detail loss. Seems reasonable to assume it will.

John

I paint with a blue light beam.

Dave Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 13:51 | Üzenet/Post # 113
aktív tag
Hi Jeff,
I've been able to use birch at around 75% power and 50ipm with just fair results. Lately I've been playing with luan ply, and the settings for birch really toast the luan beyond recognition. I've only had it at full throttle for about 10 minutes or so to see how hot it would get in the new case - about 5 degrees or so above room temperature. Haven't had a lot of time to play lately, hopefully over the weekend. I want to try some color pics with background removed.

John, you're right about the blended feed rate - at 50ipm, it's running in the mid to high 40's. When I was doing halftoned images things would work out ok, because they don't have large black areas - just individual lines or dots - and mach would slow down for each of them and give a good burn. with shaded images, it can reach full speed giving a lighter burn than expected.
Dave

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Dave - Péntek, 2012-10-05, 14:00

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 15:25 | Üzenet/Post # 114
komoly tag
John and Dave,

your both right about the blended feedrate, but I'm only able to input the set feedrate in the program and that is what I am referencing as far as 50 IPM max. With Dave's circuit the Z axis in not moving so if the CV tolerances and accelerations are set properly, wouldn't the overall blended feedrate increase closer to the set feedrate? I also have ball screws on X&Y and that would improve the acceleration/deceleration of the steppers and how it effects detail on my router also.

Jeff

Dave Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-10-05, 23:55 | Üzenet/Post # 115
aktív tag
I've noticed that the gcode generated by picengrave runs closer to the specified feedrate than the gcode generated by pvc. Not sure why this is though. pvc seems to burn darker for the same settings, and not sure why that is either.
Did some testing with pvc this afternoon, I'll try to attach the pix taken with a really lousy webcam.

Hozzáadva (2012-10-06, 0:55 AM)
Owl was done at 60ipm & 60% power. the other was done at 50ipm & 70% power. Both were on poplar from HomeDespot.

Csatolások/Attachments: 6812050.jpg(194Kb) · 4123064.jpg(318Kb)

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2012-10-06, 04:06 | Üzenet/Post # 116
komoly tag
Dave,

those engravings look good, but can I give you some advice? When I look for images to engrave, I look for high resolution photos. Paintings do not do very well. In Google images when I do a search, I type in the subject I'm looking for and add the words high resolution wallpaper. I have found if you start out with a large high res. photo first, then downsize it to the size you are engraving and then sharpen it, the detail will come out allot better. If the aspect ratio is not like you want, use crop. I'm talking if you are using PEP Laser Edition, not PVC. Here try one of these photos.

https://www.google.com/search?....bih=653

Jeff

Dave Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2012-10-06, 05:01 | Üzenet/Post # 117
aktív tag
Thanks Jeff, the owl was a high res jpg but the other wasn't as high and had contrast issues. I'm hoping to get back to playing with picengrave tomorrow. I also plan on staying out of the doghouse - it's not big enough for the cnc - that's going to limit what I can burn wink
Dave

Dave Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-10-07, 14:35 | Üzenet/Post # 118
aktív tag
OK, I'm back to testing with picengrave again after John repaired a minor issue I was having. From what I see, it produces a clearer image than pvc. The gcode it produces runs smoother with mach3, and closer to the specified feed rate. I need more playtime with it.

Dave

Csatolások/Attachments: 1198031.jpg(74Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-10-08, 16:56 | Üzenet/Post # 119
alapkő
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 2207
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Dave, thank You for info!
Would You make a comparsion between picengrave and pvc with the same picture? It's really amazing that John's software can produce clearer image than a prof. software.

H1i.hu

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-10-09, 01:58 | Üzenet/Post # 120
aktív tag
Hi Amator, I only discovered picengrave recently, so most of what I've burned up to that point was done with pvc. It seems to me that pvc's images come out darker for some reason that I don't know. I normally run mach3 with a small cv distance tolerance (.010 to .020) parameter because it results in a less blurry image. For some reason that I don't understand, the pvc gcode results in jerkier movement by mach. Picengrave's gcode, on the other hand, runs quite a bit smoother on mach3 even though both programs are producing gcode with 4 decimal place resolution (x.xxxx). I have no idea why this is.
I'll attach a couple of pics done with picengrave. I was running at 60% power with 3 volts max input to the laser modulation, and 50IPM. The wood is luan plywood - it has a slightly reddish tint, a very pronounced grain pattern and burns VERY easily. And it's cheap smile

Hozzáadva (2012-10-09, 2:56 AM)
oops, pictures didn't load. trying again

Hozzáadva (2012-10-09, 2:58 AM)
one more try.....
Looks like I'm not able to upload pictures.....

Dave

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Dave - Kedd, 2012-10-09, 01:59

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 6 / 51«12456785051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016