Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 4 / 51«1234565051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
Amatőr Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-09-10, 18:50 | Üzenet/Post # 61
alapkő
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 2250
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Helyzet/Status: Offline
tweakie, I think it will be really useful thing, a new type of laser engraving.
In Mach3 or other cnc softvare the step/mm is sometimes not an integer number, can it cause any problem? I mean what happens if the PC gives 256 steps up? Will the counter overload and set back to 1? PIC programming is not my business, so I'm just asking.
Another think I maybe wrote earlier: that laser engraving will be useful to shadowing a relief. I would be interested about how it will be looking out when someone carving a relief, then overburn with laser. (OK, I know the focus can be problematic)

H1i.hu

miki-bá Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-09-10, 19:43 | Üzenet/Post # 62
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 832
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Amatőr,

Bocsánat ,de érdekel a dolog és Én csak a Google fordítóján értem az eszmefuttatást.
Tehát ha jól értelmezem , akkor a 256 szürke színárnyalatú kép minen árnyalatához tartozna a 1 ugrás, amit a PWM vezérlésére
használnátok és így a lézer 256 féle teljesítménnyel működne és igy hozná létre a "Z" mozgása ( fókoszpont változtatása ) helyett az
árnyalatokat.

Miki bá

" Ember ,küzdj és bízva bízzál"

http://famakett.hu/

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by miki-bá - Hétfő, 2012-09-10, 19:47

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-09-10, 20:26 | Üzenet/Post # 63
alapkő
miki-bá, teljesen jól látod! Tweakie éppen azon dolgozik hogy egy olyan áramkört készítsen amibe ha bevezetjük a Z tengely step és dir jelét akkor egy Lithophane-hez készült gkóddal képet lehet gravírozni. A lézerteljesítményt a Z magassága adja, az áramkör azt alakítja PWM-en keresztül.

H1i.hu

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-09-11, 12:02 | Üzenet/Post # 64
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 442
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hi everyone, my name is Jeff and I'm the one that Tweakie posted a picture laser engraving done with shades using the PhotoVcarve software. I hope no one minds I jump into this thread.

Tweakie,

When configuring the steps, shouldn't it be based on how many steps needed before the laser diode starts to burn the wood and then the 256 steps to burn the shades? This would be for a low power 1W 445nm laser diode like mine. There also needs about 4-5 steps after that for a buffer "rollover" so it will not jump to 0% again. This is what my encoder will do too. I changed the ratios to my MA3 encoder and now I get .0295" or .749MM travel for full 0-5V. It takes 35 .0001" steps (.0035" or .088MM) from 0V to 1V before the wood starts to burn and I zero it there. Then I use .0256" or .065MM (256 .0001" steps) as a cutting depth in PhotoVcarve and that leaves .0004" (4 steps) buffer so no rollover occurs.

Also, would it not be better to keep the Z letter in the g-code, so no editing is necessary? On my setup, I could just use another axis pins and letter for the Z axis stepper to position the laser based on material height and focal point by manually moving it before I start engraving. Just throwing some suggestions and ideas out there for programming the PIC to vary the voltage for laser engraving shades. As you can probably tell, I'm not a Mach or a microprocessor programming expert and there may be more to doing this then I'm comprehending. That's why I set up my CNC router the easy way using the encoder. fool

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Kedd, 2012-09-11, 12:05

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-09-11, 14:09 | Üzenet/Post # 65
alapvető tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 979
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum, I am very pleased to see you here.

Thank you for your suggestions - the more information I can collect, at this stage, the better.

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-09-11, 16:20 | Üzenet/Post # 66
alapvető tag
tweakie, I think it will be really useful thing, a new type of laser engraving.
In Mach3 or other cnc softvare the step/mm is sometimes not an integer number, can it cause any problem? I mean what happens if the PC gives 256 steps up? Will the counter overload and set back to 1? PIC programming is not my business, so I'm just asking.
Another think I maybe wrote earlier: that laser engraving will be useful to shadowing a relief. I would be interested about how it will be looking out when someone carving a relief, then overburn with laser. (OK, I know the focus can be problematic)

Hi Amator,

Non-integer values within the GCode cause no actual problems because Mach3 only outputs a step pulse when the GCode value is a multiple of the value created by the ‘steps per unit’ as set in motor tuning.
I can set the number of actual steps for the PWM (up to a maximum of 1024) within the software and also limit the maximum and minimum values (to prevent the rollover from 100% to 1%) but this is a development project and I still have a lot to learn.

I think your idea of shadowing a relief is most interesting and I am sure that the focus issue would not be too much of a problem. (A lens with a fairly long focal distance and thus greater depth of field would perhaps not be too fussy over a distance of say ± 5mm or so).

Tweakie.

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-09-11, 18:51 | Üzenet/Post # 67
alapkő
JJWMACHINECO, Hello Jeff, Welcome to the team!
Good to see You're here, maybe we will have questions to You about this unique laser engraving.

H1i.hu

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-09-11, 19:01 | Üzenet/Post # 68
alapkő
tweakie, I think the more steps for PWM the better. For example You create a 1024 stage pwm circuit, but for engraving light wood just use 1-300 stages by setting the lithiphane height. After that when engraving a harder-to-engrave material, You can use 1-500 stages, to give more power. Perhaps not so useful on 1W laser what we have, but maybe necessary higher power lasers.

H1i.hu

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-09-11, 21:44 | Üzenet/Post # 69
komoly tag
Thanks for the warm welcome Tweakie and Amator.

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-09-12, 03:21 | Üzenet/Post # 70
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Hi Jeff,
Glad to see you here. I have been following your progress on the Vectric forum, and I want to congratulate you for your success. A really great idea and execution.

I, too, have a 1 watt 445 diode machine and have been writing a program to generate gcode customized for Mach3 to burn images. I am using gcode only grnerated directly from grayscale color values and simulate power control of the laser. Attached are some shading tests I did for Tweakie that demonstrates my progress so far. The numbers are the grayscale color values. As I do not use PhoroVCarve (I sell a competing program, PicEngrave Pro), I do not reply to PVC posts.

I seem to recall from a post of yours on another forum (?) that you are somewhere in the south US - I may be confused on this. I am in Florida (Tampa Bay area), and was curious if we might be close to one another. Understood if you choose not to reveal your location.

Best Regards,
John Champlain
www.picengrave.com

Hozzáadva (2012-09-12, 4:21 AM)
---------------------------------------------
Well,
Seems I can't remember how to post photos here. Tweakie, may I ask you to post them for me?

Thanks,
John

I paint with a blue light beam.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-09-12, 06:37 | Üzenet/Post # 71
alapvető tag
Well, Seems I can't remember how to post photos here. Tweakie, may I ask you to post them for me?

No problem John.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 4195049.jpg(4Kb) · 3553121.jpg(47Kb) · 1192493.jpg(10Kb) · 3021064.jpg(54Kb)

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-09-12, 12:14 | Üzenet/Post # 72
komoly tag
Quote (picengraver)
Hi Jeff,
Glad to see you here. I have been following your progress on the Vectric forum, and I want to congratulate you for your success. A really great idea and execution.

I, too, have a 1 watt 445 diode machine and have been writing a program to generate gcode customized for Mach3 to burn images. I am using gcode only grnerated directly from grayscale color values and simulate power control of the laser. Attached are some shading tests I did for Tweakie that demonstrates my progress so far. The numbers are the grayscale color values. As I do not use PhoroVCarve (I sell a competing program, PicEngrave Pro), I do not reply to PVC posts.

I seem to recall from a post of yours on another forum (?) that you are somewhere in the south US - I may be confused on this. I am in Florida (Tampa Bay area), and was curious if we might be close to one another. Understood if you choose not to reveal your location.

Thanks John,

It's been a very rewarding venture for me and my son. I own a small 2 man CNC machine shop just south of Tallahassee Fl. and this has just been a hobby for us. I looked at your PicEngrave Pro software also, but there are not as many settings in there to change like tool configurations to get different results like PVC does. I'm not downing your software and I only downloaded the demo version and could not engrave anything with it to see the actual results.

I'm somewhat disappointed with Vectric because they have not shown any recognition of what I have accomplished with there software, even though it may have boosted there sales of PVC. They are promoting and supporting there Aspire software more then anything. I prefer and use Kubotek KeyCreator as a 2D/3D solids CAD/CAM program for my machine shop and will not buy Cut2D, Cut3d, VcarvePro or Aspire. I can actually say that here without my posts getting removed like over there. fudge

Will your new software for laser engraving be able to output a standard g-code for us that still prefer to use an encoder to vary the power to the laser? It looks like your getting very good results laser engraving grey scale shades. PVC lost something when I tried to laser engrave a grey scale, but did good when I brought in a 8-bit color scale. If it only engraves grey scale anyway, I would prefer to bring in a 8-bit grey scale image and see that as a preview of the actual engraving I will get. That is one thing I have struggled with using PVC. Viewing a picture after some editing/enhancing with all the colors and trying to see the what it will come out like in there preview before I laser engrave it. I have scrapped allot of wood, because every picture had to be handled/processed differently before bringing into PVC. We scrapped 3 before we got the results we were happy with on the Drew laser engraving Tweakie posted on this forum.

This was not the case when I was pulsing the laser and only engraving black and white images. The preview was exactly like it engraved, but engraving shades with it has been a challenge. TTL modulation could be another option with your software too. When you get everything worked out with your software, I would love to try it on my machine, if it will output standard X,Y and Z g-code.

thumb

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2012-09-12, 12:18

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-09-12, 18:24 | Üzenet/Post # 73
alapkő
Hi John!
Nice results with shades of gray! Seems the wood gives enough linear response.

H1i.hu

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-09-12, 21:59 | Üzenet/Post # 74
Fontos tag
Jeff,
Please send an email to me when you get time: picengrave@verizon.net .

<Will your new software for laser engraving be able to output a standard g-code for us that still prefer to use an encoder to vary the power to the laser?>

You can do this with my program, PicEngrave Pro. I'll be happy to work with you to modify the gcode module to support your laser system.

I also burned a copy of your Drew photo to compare my system with yours. I sent a copy to Tweakie a few days ago. For my little machine, I think it came out pretty good, but it also proved that I needed to improve my lead screws and lead nuts. The image I did looks like it had been taken through a window screen. It was also burned to card stock paper, similar to a manilla file folder. Perhaps Tweakie won't mind if I impose upon him again to post a copy here for me - I am away from home until Saturday afternoon and don't have access to it.

<PVC lost something when I tried to laser engrave a grey scale, but did good when I brought in a 8-bit color scale. If it only engraves grey scale anyway, I would prefer to bring in a 8-bit grey scale image and see that as a preview of the actual engraving I will get. That is one thing I have struggled with using PVC>

PicEngrave Pro will also preview in grayscale.

My new program, PicLaser, uses a different gcode generating module, and while it will dither and also convert and preview in grayscale, the gcode will not produce varying Z commands as PicEngrave Pro does.

John

Hozzáadva (2012-09-12, 10:59 PM)
Zoltan,
Thank you. I'm still experimenting with the shading, but I think part of it is the way PicLaser helps one's eye see the shades. PicLaser actually produces a different type of dithering than what most of us are familiar with to simulate gray shades. I think Jeff has the better approach, but I am trying to do it without machine modifications.

I believe that if any charring occurs while burning wood, then the laser power is too high and only black shades will be generated. I have set up PicLaser so the amount of charring can be minimized by setting the maximum amount of burn a pixel receives for black color. There is also a minimum amount of power that is required to change the color of wood. Between these two points, I am trying to determine if the wood will show a linear response to laser power. I am not sure yet if it will. Like Jeff, I am throwing away a lot of wood during program development, so I am limiting most of my testing to small test images at a time. I also use heavy paper.

I will soon send you a new beta copy of PicLaser. I have fixed some bugs and added some new features, so please do not spend too much time with translation at this time.

John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-09-13, 06:27 | Üzenet/Post # 75
alapvető tag
Hi John,

My apologies for not posting this one earlier.

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 3137288.jpg(233Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-09-13, 07:35 | Üzenet/Post # 76
alapkő
picengraver,
Quote (picengraver)
I have fixed some bugs and added some new features, so please do not spend too much time with translation at this time.

The translation is nearly finished, I have to find someone to check it back. I can wait the for the changes and renew it.

H1i.hu

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-09-13, 09:15 | Üzenet/Post # 77
Fontos tag
Thank Tweakie,
No apology necessary. I appreciate your help.

This image was done on manilla card stock (same as a file folder), which, I discovered later, surface chars very easily without burning through as regular paper will do. I later wiped off the carbon with a rag, and the image was left cleaner, but paler. I think when I fix the backlash on my machine (parts on order) I should get better results and eliminate the 'window screen' effect.

Next week I want to try coating some wood and card stock with some thinned lacquer or shellac, and perhaps a wood glue wash, to see if the charring can be minimized on the darker pixels of an image.

Regards,
John

Hozzáadva (2012-09-13, 10:15 AM)
Thank you Zoltan. I appreciate your help and interest.

Regards,
John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-09-13, 11:20 | Üzenet/Post # 78
alapvető tag
Hi John,

I did some grey-scale tests on coloured card stock, some while back, and found that it is possible to burn the material to a lighter shade (ablating the dye) before it actually started to burn darker within the grey-scale. CO2 lasers do perform slightly differently to diode lasers (different wavelengths and polarisation) but, I wonder, does wood exhibit this same characteristic ??

I think that pre-coating the wood with different compounds of lacquer etc. will produce some very interesting effects and I can't wait to see your results.

Tweakie.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-09-14, 01:53 | Üzenet/Post # 79
komoly tag
I tried John's PicEngrave Pro software today and I'm very happy with the results. All I did was brought in the original photo, re-sized it, sharpened it and added text with the auxiliary programs and laser engraved it. The picture I posted was scanned to grey scale to show the detail and the different shades I was able to achieve in the laser engraving. I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the code generation and it was so easy to use. Thanks John

Csatolások/Attachments: 4191595.jpg(291Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2012-09-14, 02:10

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-09-14, 06:32 | Üzenet/Post # 80
alapvető tag
Excellent results Jeff. cool

Tweakie.

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 4 / 51«1234565051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2017