Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 35 / 51«1233343536375051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
csewe Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-05-08, 09:48 | Üzenet/Post # 681
Fontos tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 596
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Hírnév/Fame: 1
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Thank you Jeff.

Idézet (JJWMACHINECO)
You got me beat for the longest laser engraving time competition.

Slow machine takes a long time to work.

Thank you John.

Idézet (picengraver)
Dried pinto bean with the letter 'J' .025 inches / .635 mm high.

Excellent results.
I'm also going to try a miniature text.

Pabló köszönöm.

Thank you Tweakie.

Zoli.

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by csewe - Szerda, 2013-05-08, 11:51

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-05-08, 21:51 | Üzenet/Post # 682
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Did this one today for a visitor to my shop that wants to setup a machine for laser diode engraving. I hope he post some of his engravings here in the future too.   up

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 2630811.jpg(101Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2013-05-08, 21:54

Pabló Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-05-08, 22:17 | Üzenet/Post # 683
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 675
Kitüntetések/Medals: 2
JJWMACHINECO

respect
nice ! up

Hozzáadva (2013-05-08, 22:17)
---------------------------------------------
Today I did that!
Image is not true, but vector
Size: diameter 260mm

Pablo83.weebly.com

fefenin Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-05-08, 23:03 | Üzenet/Post # 684
kezdő tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 34
Kitüntetések/Medals: 0
Hírnév/Fame: 0
hello everyone! i'm new in this forum, i came because "Picengrave" made a clever advise!

i read all the thread today , plus the read me file and pdf of picengrave software, in fact i have more question than before i read all of that.

first of all i guess it is best to tell you what machine/ laser setup i've got:

so i'm using an idconception wooden machine wityh custom leadscrews and milling motor
this machine is right know cabable of feedrate equal to 800.

i usually use this machine to cut 2d carbone fiber parts with a motor mill.

laser engraving/cutting sound exciting to me so i recently baught a 2watt 445nm laser module + xdrive + 405-g2 glass lens

i also have stepper on z axis feeding a ma3-a10-125-b rotary absolute encoder feeding an arduino adc giving me PWM to an irl3808 mosfet feeding the laser driver (0to12volts)

i did run some tests but the result is not very good ( looks like black and white not gray scale)

so now are the questions:

is it best to use ttl or grayscale on picengrave?
how to generate ttl with mach3?
same with grayscale?         (i'm guessing the ma3 absolute encodeur with a dedicated stepper is one option)

what laser driver can i use  ?
is it possible to find one to buy somewhere?

does my setup looks ok ?

why "material width not set" message  apears in picengrave ? i cannot see any fields with such a name.

thank you all advance, i really like what you can make with you DIY machines!

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-05-08, 23:29 | Üzenet/Post # 685
komoly tag
Welcome fefenin,

I use the same analog encoder and think your problem is going through the arduino and creating a PWM signal. Here is a driver you can take the 0-5V analog voltage from your encoder directly to the drivers modulation input to vary the power to your laser diode. Unfortunately, this seller only has the quads available  He sometimes sells a dual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm....8.l2649

I get very good results using analog, TTL and VFR with PicEngrave and my encoder is tied to the Z axis stepper. There is no reason to have a dedicated stepper for your encoder, providing you have it setup with the correct timing belt ratios.

Thank you Pablo. That clock came out excellent also. 

Sometime in the future I need to try a clock.  

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2013-05-08, 23:53

fefenin Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 00:25 | Üzenet/Post # 686
kezdő tag
thanks JJWMACHINECO !

it is sad there is not much drivers available online ( cause i don't need 4 and thus it is a bit expensive)

Idézet
I get very good results using analog, TTL and VFR with PicEngrave

still i'm not sure what will be the difference between the gcode generated

and i still don't see how mach3 can generat TTL (TTL is the same as PWM in this case?)

Idézet
you have it setup with the correct timing belt ratios

what would be a good belt ratio ?

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 01:31 | Üzenet/Post # 687
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Jeff and Pablo,
Both great pieces.  I'm happy to see interest picking up here.

Jeremy,
Welcome, I am glad to see you here.  I want to publicly thank both you and Pablo for helping me to find the bug that was preventing PEP from working for some country users.

Jeff has been helping me to write the attached paper on setting up a laser diode to engrave images, and some changes were just made yesterday to the paper.  I know there will still be some questions, but I believe a careful reading will help answer a lot of questions for those new to all of this.  I will be adding and expanding this writeup as I see a need to include more information.  Jeff's setup od his MA3 encoder is explained in detail, including the belt ratios he uses (40/12 or 3.33:1).

Jeremy, please ignore the message about setting a material width; it is a bug that I thought I had fixed already.  Apparently not, so I have more work to do to eliminate the message.

I don't know anything about PWM controls, and PEP is not set up to generate code for that.  To do TTL, an image must be only black and white colors, and PEP will make the right gcode.  It is not a Mach3 function.  And TTL is not the same as PWM.  Perhaps Tweakie can explain this better than I when he get time.  TTL is only on and off control.

I hope there will be enough interest now in analog laser controls that the seller in Denmark will increase his production.  If he gets enough emails and messages from eBay customers, maybe this will happen.  His email address is: tr@nordfiber.dk   Please contact him and maybe he will see there is some users wanting a single or dual driver.

Regards All,
John

Well it seems the PDF did not attach to my message.  It is too large.  I will upload it to my web site and post a link later.

I paint with a blue light beam.

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 01:34

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 01:35 | Üzenet/Post # 688
komoly tag
Thanks John.

Jeremy, I understand about cost. If you did read through this thread, you should have seen where Yanxin posted a driver you can make yourself.

http://hobbycncart.com/_fr/1/Die4DriveRev1-2.pdf

My ratios are a 18 tooth on the stepper and 36 tooth on the Z axis screw=2 to 1 ratio. Then I have a 40 tooth on the same stepper to a 12 tooth on the encoder=3.33 to 1 ratio.

This setup gives me  256 .0001" increments to get 256 shades of grey when using analog setting. Since I have a 2-1 ratio to my Z axis screw, it only moves half that amount=.0128" so it does not effect the focal point of the laser diode.

TTL I setup another profile in Mach3 and reverse the Z axis direction pin so when I go Z-.0015 setting in Picengrave, the encoder jumps to full 5V and full power on my laser diode. Image has to be dithered black & white first for this to work. No, TTL this way is not PWM when using an analog voltage output encoder.

Variable feedrate just uses the laser at full power or desired power and the g-code generated by Picengrave or Zoli's G-ray program has a different (varied) feedrate at the end of each line of code to get shades of grey. The slower it runs the darker area it burns and the faster the lighter it burns.

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 01:57

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 01:42 | Üzenet/Post # 689
Fontos tag
OK guys,
Laser Setup PDF is here:  http://www.picengrave.com/Laser%20Setups.pdf

John

Dave Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 02:43 | Üzenet/Post # 690
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Wow, this is a busy place today! My 45 watt co2 laser arrived late today, and it looks impressive and neatly made. Need to mount the coolant bucket and air compressor and install the software for it. Hope to have it powered up and running over the weekend.
Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 03:36 | Üzenet/Post # 691
Fontos tag
That's good news Dave.  Guess you're going to be giving Tweakie some competition soon.  yes
John

Dave Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 04:22 | Üzenet/Post # 692
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Maybe, assuming I don't vaporize myself first wacko
Dave

fefenin Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 09:13 | Üzenet/Post # 693
kezdő tag
thank all for those good explanation!!

@Picengraver:
Idézet
Well it seems the PDF did not attach to my message.

ok i now understand about the pdf you told me about.
Idézet
I want to publicly thank both you and Pablo for helping me to find the bug
you are more than welcome ,thanx to you for this great software!

Idézet
Perhaps Tweakie can explain this better
yes would be nice but no hurry , i'll go for the grayscale for now.

Idézet
that the seller in Denmark will increase his production
that would be great, one allways need a laser driver at home wink
i'll probably by one anyways

@JJWMACHINECO:
Idézet
Jeremy, I understand about cost. If you did read through this thread, you
should have seen where Yanxin posted a driver you can make yourself.
yes i did but i guess for that project i don't want to spend to much time burning my precious electronics and settings up things..

Idézet
This setup gives me  256 .0001" increments to get 256 shades of grey when
using analog setting. Since I have a 2-1 ratio to my Z axis screw, it
only moves half that amount=.0128" so it does not effect the focal point
of the laser diode.
it is very clear to me now

is that possible to see the result with you TTL settings?

i'm planing to cut balsa wood (dxf rc plane) in the future , maybe ttl is the way to go...

thank's again all

Hozzáadva (2013-05-09, 09:13)
---------------------------------------------
forgot to ask:

Idézet
Dave and I use the

C

drive to control our lasers
, leaving the Z axis
available to manually
raise and lower
the diode

is it again with the MA3 and another stepper?

make me think about a laser driver that would take Step and Dir pins and give you the full excursion (0 5v).
such a thing should exist and that would remove the need for mechanical parts driving the laser.

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by fefenin - Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 09:13

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 10:30 | Üzenet/Post # 694
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Hi Fefenin,

Welcome to the forum.

You mentioned PWM control in an earlier post – unless you are up for a lot of experimentation I think this is perhaps better avoided.

The Mach3 generated PWM suffers from a kind of ‘cyclic hiccup’ – this is not noticeable when driving a spindle, probably because of it’s inertia, but it is noticeable when driving a fast-acting device such as a laser. In addition to this the Mach3 PWM is, in laser terms, extremely slow to update with the GCode Sxxxx command to different % settings.

A step / direction controlled ‘stand-alone’ PWM generator is probably a much better proposition to experiment with if you have the desire for this method of laser power control but, to be honest, I think that it has been well demonstrated here in this thread that the Analogue or TTL methods of control are to be preferred.

As my time permits, I am currently looking at the Smooth Stepper (external motion controller) generated PWM signal which can be easily gated to the Mach3, GCode, M11P1 / M10P1 commands. This PWM can also be linked (both linearly and non-linearly via a user adjusted look-up table) with true axis speed thereby providing power compensation for the constant velocity acceleration / deceleration errors.
Whilst this may be ideal for combining a vector engraving and cutting tool-path into one file I have yet to find any real suitability for grey-scale engraving but, like everything, it is perhaps early days yet.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 12:11 | Üzenet/Post # 695
komoly tag
Idézet (fefenin)
is that possible to see the result with you TTL settings?

Here are 2 engravings I have done using TTL. First one is on a mirror and second one was on artist canvas. Both images were dithered black and white first.

Idézet (fefenin)
make me think about a laser driver that would take Step and Dir pins and give you the full excursion (0 5v). such a thing should exist and that would remove the need for mechanical parts driving the laser

Don't get discouraged using the MA3. I'm getting excellent results with this setup. It's just your implementation that is giving you troubles. Dave has used the MA3 encoder also with very good results. I'm curious, what made you decide to use the MA3 to start with?

Idézet (fefenin)
yes i did but i guess for that project i don't want to spend to much time burning my precious electronics and settings up things..

This is what you will be doing building a DAC circuit.   yes

I have no regrets using the MA3 and my router has over 800 hours run time without any issues. I most likely have the most run time then anyone doing laser diode engraving using any of these analog control setups. I have changed the 3 element glass lens twice in this amount of time, but that did not have anything to do with the encoder.

My dual 445nm laser will be setup with the MA3 tied to a 4th axis servo motor and not to the Z axis this time. I have to do this because with the Z axis moving will effect the 2 diodes focal intersecting point.

Jeff
Csatolások/Attachments: 8018520.jpg(154Kb) · 3508699.jpg(200Kb)

Pabló Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 13:56 | Üzenet/Post # 696
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 675
Kitüntetések/Medals: 2
JJWMACHINECO,

Hi Jeff

I would like to inquire about to your lasered, about how much will it cost?
I really liked it as well, especially it would be nice if he would take the mirror
and how many watts?
aser drive is ready-made or someone you built it?
indeed it may be better for blue laser as the infrared
back pack a punch  up
I hope you turn this translator
Oh, and even that would be a question that the mirror is made of strong scoring, as is the DotG with it?

Pabló

Pablo83.weebly.com

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Pabló - Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 16:20

fefenin Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 15:54 | Üzenet/Post # 697
kezdő tag
sorry i did reply but my post is gone...

to answer :
i'm going to use the ma3 anyways, i'm just trying to learn things about other technics / controls

Idézet
I'm curious, what made you decide to use the MA3 to start with?
i found video about laser engraving on youtube  (that's the setup i can see in Picengraver's PDF)
this looks like it works pretty well, so i thaught i would give it a go.

Idézet
This is what you will be doing building a DAC circuit.  

i'm going to buy a driver for sure, i don't want to built it right now , is there others on the market? still with all the feature listed for this one?

i'va got a 4th axis so i'm probably gona use it to control the ma3 , it looks simpler to me , so i can focus on different depth objects.

Idézet
I have changed the 3 element glass lens twice in this amount of time

why is that ? will that happen to my 405-g2 glass lens?

i read we should not put to long wires from the diode to the driver, what would be a resonable lengh?

i alreadu did open my module and i have easy access to the diode so , just need to buy this analog driver , and safety googles (not to be found in france for a resonable price) and give a try.

Picengraver did a great job to make the software work on my french windows, thank to him!

thanks to all for those data, i already learned a lot!
and sorry if i make mistake in english, it's not my native language wink

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by fefenin - Csütörtök, 2013-05-09, 15:56

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-05-10, 03:17 | Üzenet/Post # 698
komoly tag
Pablo, my laser is 1W 445nm and the driver is a FlexmodP3. I have never used DotG.

Idézet (fefenin)
i found video about laser engraving on youtube  (that's the setup i can see in Picengraver's PDF) this looks like it works pretty well, so i thaught i would give it a go.

That's my video and my machine on YouTube. You should have followed that link to here and we could have gave you some advice on your build.

Idézet (fefenin)
i'va got a 4th axis so i'm probably gona use it to control the ma3 , it looks simpler to me , so i can focus on different depth objects.

I have my encoder tied to my Z axis like you and I can focus on different depth objects. I'm always within .015" (.38mm) of focusing on the material height and setting my laser power level starting/zeroing point.

Idézet (fefenin)
why is that ? will that happen to my 405-g2 glass lens?

The lens will get dirty after running a long time and the laser starts loosing power. The 3 element glass lens are only $22.00 for 3 of them shipped to me free. I could clean them, but why?

Idézet (fefenin)
i read we should not put to long wires from the diode to the driver, what would be a resonable lengh?

I'm not sure about that question. Ask the person you purchased the laser diode from. Mine are only about  75mm long.

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2013-05-10, 10:51

fefenin Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-05-10, 10:32 | Üzenet/Post # 699
kezdő tag
Idézet
That's my video and my machine on YouTube.
cool  this is a good video thank's for posting that there is not much DIY laser engraver en youtube

Idézet
You should have followed that link to here and we could have gave you some advice on your build.
i guess i did follow the link , but you know sometime i get scared about the language , so after that i search other ways on mach3 forum with brain and PWM

i'm glad i still came ,good knowledge in here!!

Idézet
I have my encoder tied to my Z axis like you and I can focus on different
depth objects. I'm always within .015" (.38mm) of focusing on the
material height and setting my laser power level starting/zeroing point.

yes i see how it works , every full turn you move .038mm  

so do you and other people think it is a bad idea to have the full control on the 4th axis?

by the way managed to open my laser module and extract the xdrive and i did order the "analog quad laser driver" i hope it will be here quickly.

for now everything is going ok.

i'm thinking maybe i'll have to upgrade to ball screws or put the laser on my little ISEL (witch is to small i think)

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-05-10, 11:02 | Üzenet/Post # 700
komoly tag
No I don't think it's a bad idea, but not everyone will have an extra axis to tie a DAC to. Also if you want to laser engrave on a round piece of wood, the 4th axis will not be available.

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2013-05-10, 11:05

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 35 / 51«1233343536375051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016