Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 31 / 51«1229303132335051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-04-13, 12:23 | Üzenet/Post # 601
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Hi Yanxin,

Sorry to hear about your diode - I think we all manage to destroy at least one of them. yes

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-04-13, 16:42 | Üzenet/Post # 602
Fontos tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Yanxin,
Bummer sad
I have one of those, too.  Same reason.   Just an expensive LED now. facepalm

Enjoy your trip, and stay in touch if you can.  I hope to have two more machines running by the time you get back.

Regards,
John

I paint with a blue light beam.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-04-13, 16:59 | Üzenet/Post # 603
komoly tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Yea Yanxin, sorry to hear that. I try not to use any digital meters for my laser, all analog. It's really hard to follow whats going on with a digital one anyway.

This 445 laser diode has some real power, will run at 2A, copper module for good heat transfer to your heat sink, built in ESD and comes with the 3 element glass lens.  http://www.ebay.com/itm....9.l2649

I was doing some free demo downloading of different photo engraving software to do a comparison before buying something else to try with my laser diode. Sorry John, I'm just looking at what else is out there. Yanxin mention he used bmb2cnc, so I downloaded it first.

Starting from the beginning, I found there is not much editing tools. You can Flip, rotate and select greyscale.  There are to many steps you have to go through just to generate the g-code. That is one thing I did not like about using PVC. To many settings, when it could be easier. What I found out also, you can not do much testing with it because I could not even save the G-code,stl or DXF file. It does have a tool path simulator in it, for what purpose, I have absolutely no idea. I guess it's just for the fact they can say it has one.

OK, moving on to Microcarve. The first thing I noticed, you can not set your depth of cut to the 4th decimal place only 3, which is important in doing any precision engraving. Well it's important to me anyway. When I set the Z depth to -.025, the preview was pretty much useless. Could not even see what it would look like. Here again, PVC was the same darn way, unless you were doing a B&W image and blanked out all the white areas. You can move it on the screen and get it a some angle, but still, could barely see it.

A greyscale preview is the best way to go, for photo laser engraving anyway. It does let you do a border, but not an elliptical one which I find works out very good doing a mirror engraving. There is flip, rotate, invert and yes, greyscale preview, but it goes away when you select the Generate Toolpath button. I like it to stay greyscale so I can compare when my laser is engraving the image. I could reload the image to get the greyscale image back up, buy why should you have to. In this program, there are not enough settings and no image editing tools. It will let you output a g-code and stl file with a watermark, but I did not try to engrave anything with it.

My overall evaluation of these programs to laser engrave is.   tongue

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szombat, 2013-04-13, 18:46

yywind Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-04-14, 01:31 | Üzenet/Post # 604
nézelődő tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 7
Kitüntetések/Medals: 0
Hírnév/Fame: 0
I don't know why I did that, I have been using voltmeter to monitor the current, or maybe it's time to for the old one to say goodbye wacko , learned a lesson, hope this is the first&last one I destroy tongue .  I think John's PEP will be getting better and better, he has lots of new ideas in his mind. Thanks, Jeff, I'll get the diode once I am back, most likely I'll also upgrade the mosfet in my driver with NTP30N06L to get more power.

Yanxin

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by yywind - Vasárnap, 2013-04-14, 01:33

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 02:33 | Üzenet/Post # 605
Fontos tag
It is claimed that the 405-G2 single element lens will pass more power from a 445 laser diode than the less expensive 3 element lens.  So, out of curiosity, I did a quick comparison of lenses this afternoon.  Both images were engraved from same file with no changes in settings, and on the same piece of plywood.  They are 3 inches in diameter.

The first image is with my single element 405-G2 lens.  This is the only lens I have ever used until today.  The second image is with the 3 element lens I just received (the correct one - gold tinted).

I was also interested in seeing if there was any difference in laser focus spot size, but I'm not sure I see any definitive difference.  The G2 lens is burning darker than the 3 element, but I can't say it is better or worse from this test, and a slight power decrease in PEP4 settings will easily correct that slight difference.

Seeing as how the G2 lens is a much more expensive lens, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for the about 5 or 6 times price premium over the 3 element lens based on this one test.

John

Csatolások/Attachments: 0000917.jpg(90Kb) · 1690855.jpg(93Kb)

Pabló Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 11:21 | Üzenet/Post # 606
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 675
Kitüntetések/Medals: 2
Hello!
I want to inquire of you to 3W Diode Laser lens where I can get! Or maybe someone can send me this, referring to the price we can
organize!
Thanks in advance!
And congratulations to everyone in a lot of beautiful work!

Üdv: Pabló

Pablo83.weebly.com

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 12:20 | Üzenet/Post # 607
komoly tag
John,

that seller talked me into buying one of those expensive lenses awhile back and it did let more light through and gave me more burning power, but I could not get it to focus down to as small as a dot as the 3 element lens for some reason. I didn't try going any closer or farther from my material and that may be why. I just could not get as good of detail with it as I was getting from the AR coated 3 element lens.

I checked the G-2 lens and the one that came with my laser originally and they both have a blue tint, so I am confused which one is correct.

Dave, I'm sure yours has a blue tint also.

That seller also sent me this information about his 405nm laser diode.

"Also for engraving there is a much better diode for that. These 445 diodes are built for display use not burning. They are incredibly bright but due to the poor divergence they have low power density. Take a look at the 405 diodes. They were designed to burn the incredibly small tracks on blueray discs. They are the most highly developed single mode(pinpoint dot) diode on the market and the best option for CNC before stepping up to C02. Check out these links. A 405 half the power of a 445 will have three times the power density, can reach the goal of 0.1mm spot size and being closer to UV they absorb into materials much better."

I thought about buying one and trying it, but then I went to this link he sent me of someone engraving with it.

"Here is a project as a proof a concept one of my customers recently did.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f54/mini-cnc-laser-etcher-78491.html "

I'm sorry, but I could only chuckle after watching the video using a 405 and a CNC machine built from CD drives and decided not to.  biggrin

I tried getting the seller to join us here, but I guess he decided not to. tongue

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Kedd, 2013-04-16, 12:37

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 14:47 | Üzenet/Post # 608
Fontos tag
Idézet (JJWMACHINECO)
that seller talked me into buying one of those expensive lenses awhile back and it did let more light through and gave me more burning power, but I could not get it to focus down to as small as a dot as the 3 element lens for some reason. I didn't try going any closer or farther from my material and that may be why. I just could not get as good of detail with it as I was getting from the AR coated 3 element lens.
Jeff, My G2 lens has to be used reversed to the way the 3 element lens is used.  If installed with the retaining clip next to the diode, it will not focus close.  Reversed, it focuses much the same as the 3 element, which is installed with the clip next to the diode.  I'm not sure about spot size between the two; I need a better target material like you use.  I just use a piece of scrap wood, not the best, I know.

Idézet JJWMACHINECO"Also for engraving there is a much better diode for that. These 445 diodes
are built for display use not burning. They are incredibly bright but
due to the poor divergence they have low power density. Take a look at
the 405 diodes. They were designed to burn the incredibly small tracks
on blueray discs. They are the most highly developed single
mode(pinpoint dot) diode on the market and the best option for CNC
before stepping up to C02. Check out these links. A 405 half the power
of a 445 will have three times the power density, can reach the goal of
0.1mm spot size and being closer to UV they absorb into materials much
better."
I've read similar before, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.:)   I think he is confused about the power required to burn wood.  Smaller dot size at lower power does not seem to be as good as more power and slightly larger dot size, as you have helped prove with your dually setup.:)   It may sound arrogant, though not meant too, but I think that collectively we here now know more than any others on the use of laser diodes to burn images in wood and other materials.  Theory and practice do not always agree.

Idézet (JJWMACHINECO)
I checked the G-2 lens and the one that came with my laser originally and they both have a blue tint, so I am confused which one is correct.
Yeh, this is curious and confusing to me, too.  All I know is that the seller says blue tint is wrong, and the ones he sent me with a visual blue tint did not work well.  My old lens and new ones he just sent me don't have as strong a gold tint as the seller shows on eBay, but they definitely are not blue tinted.  However, my knowledge of light transmission and lens design and coating colors is nil, so I don't know what is correct and can only do trial and error testing. 

John

Hozzáadva (2013-04-16, 14:47)
---------------------------------------------

Idézet (Pabló)
Hello!I want to inquire of you to 3W Diode Laser lens where I can get! Or maybe someone can send me this, referring to the price we can
organize!
Thanks in advance!
And congratulations to everyone in a lot of beautiful work!

Üdv: Pabló
Pabló,
The lens must be chosen to match your diode type and its holder.  Probably best if you search on eBay for someone selling what you need. 

This is a link to the seller's eBay store that Jeff and I have used: http://www.ebay.com/sch....5.l2562

Regards,
John

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 19:02 | Üzenet/Post # 609
Fontos tag
Here is another lens test.  It's quite interesting to me, but I'm not sure how to interpret the results.  I did not get a result I was expecting (a single line, with possibly a different width from each lens).

The two circles are each a single pass at maximum laser power (1.6 amps).  The upper circle (#3) is with the 3 element lens, and the lower circle (#1) is with the G2 lens.

I used a Verbatim LightScribe DVD+R disc, the kind on which a label can be engraved with the DVD burner by placing it in upside down.

The laser diode was not modulating in output for either circle, and the machine's X/Y moves seemed to be smooth and at a constant feed rate.

I would be interested if anyone could try a similar test with a different laser diode than the 445 I use.

John

Csatolások/Attachments: 0438620.jpg(77Kb)

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 20:46 | Üzenet/Post # 610
komoly tag
My wife got onto me this morning about me posting a laser engraving of our dog (Wagner) and not one of her.

John, she seen the picture you posted of your pinup girl and insisted I do the same thing, so here is a laser engraving of my pinup girl. biggrin

I figured this gave me an opportunity to test one of the new 3 element glass lens on the mini router, since we are on the subject of lenses now.

I ran this analog at 45IPM with a pixel resolution of .007". The size is 7.5" X 9.5" and it took 3 hours to complete.

I had to redo the engraving because my pinup girl complained there were to many wood grains showing and it made her look like she had a bunch of wrinkles. I had to really dig to find a piece of plywood with as little grains as possible. I sure am glad the edit button did not go away yet because I would never have heard the end of it.  blahblah

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 9882861.jpg(127Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2013-04-17, 18:51

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-04-16, 21:44 | Üzenet/Post # 611
Fontos tag
Jeff,
My compliments to your wife.  Very nicely done.  I hope to meet her personally (and you and your son) someday. 

Now my wife is going to want a larger portrait, too.  biggrin

I plan to breadboard up the digital pot chip this weekend, if all goes according to plan.   I want to use it with the new machine, which arrived today.  I'll post pictures of it in the machine section later.  First looks it seems nicely made.

John

Pabló Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-04-17, 23:06 | Üzenet/Post # 612
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 675
Kitüntetések/Medals: 2
picengraver

Thanks for the help and the link!
Unfortunately my 808nm Laser's not to be the best in these lenses!
It would even be a big issue, maybe they did not look intrusive!
Someone has tried to engrave the mirror so small laserrel?
Mine 3W!
After all, it takes much, the only problem that remains in the headlamp start, which is not easy to remove so much!
For there can be some good and easy solution?
Sand headlamp tried, but unfortunately the bite into the glass, and the end result is the most beautiful!

Thank: Pabló

Pablo83.weebly.com

csewe Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 08:56 | Üzenet/Post # 613
Fontos tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 596
Hírnév/Fame: 1
Hi guys.

Instead of 1W, 3W 808nm diode I'm using now.
I am very disappointed.
It's not good to burn natural wood.
We continue to need the black iron oxide toner.

Zoli

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 12:17 | Üzenet/Post # 614
komoly tag
Hi Zoli,

Is this the 808nm 3W laser you are are using? http://www.ebay.com/itm....27e5c38

If so, this guy has engraved wood with his. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-d7a4MIMtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....index=8

Jeff

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 13:13 | Üzenet/Post # 615
komoly tag
Been playing around with the effect tools in Corel Photo Paint and engraved this one yesterday. I converted the image to 8bit greyscale and then inverted it, solarized, inverted then solarized it again. Ran at 50ipm analog with a .007" pixel resolution. The engraving is 9.5" X 7.5" and it took 3 hours 42 minutes to complete.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 5942685.jpg(168Kb)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 16:42 | Üzenet/Post # 616
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Excellent work Jeff. You have created some really stunning effects there. cool

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 17:54 | Üzenet/Post # 617
komoly tag
Thanks Tweakie,

You can probably tell, I'm having some fun playing around with the photos to create some new effects.

Jeff

csewe Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 17:55 | Üzenet/Post # 618
Fontos tag
Hi Jeff

Such a laser diode and a fixture.
I made it myself.
The laser diode type is unknown.

Zoli
Csatolások/Attachments: 6593681.jpg(5Kb) · 8909678.jpg(39Kb) · 0494803.jpg(50Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by csewe - Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 17:56

csewe Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 18:02 | Üzenet/Post # 619
Fontos tag
Jeff

I really like the picture you made.
Congratulations.

Zoli

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 18:02 | Üzenet/Post # 620
komoly tag
Thanks Zoli and your laser setup is interesting.

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling your problem may be your lens is to far from your laser diode and your not getting the intensity needed to burn the wood effectively.

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Csütörtök, 2013-04-18, 18:05

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 31 / 51«1229303132335051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016