Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 19 / 51«1217181920215051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-01-24, 22:26 | Üzenet/Post # 361
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Did this one today with the same settings of one of our pooches.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 8926327.jpg(153Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 02:02 | Üzenet/Post # 362
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Jeff,
I am fast becoming ashamed to post any more of my work after seeing yours smile . Really, really good.

I assume you are lasering in gray scale mode, correct? I am surprised, if so, that it does so good on mirrors. So far I have only done dithered images. I just restocked my mirror supply today and will have to work hard next week to try and top your work biggrin

John

I paint with a blue light beam.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 02:25 | Üzenet/Post # 363
komoly tag
Thanks John,

I used TTL and dithered them with Picdither using Atkinson @ .100. I also been adjusting gamma to 1.5 and sharpening to 12 in the edit program. I don't know if grey scale mode will work on mirrors, but I can try it tomorrow.

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 03:02 | Üzenet/Post # 364
Fontos tag
Jeff,
Thanks, I doubt gray scale will work. I've only done TTL dithered, too. It will be Saturday before I can test myself.

BTW, a good source of small mirrors is Dollar Tree.

John

PS: Dave, where are you?

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Péntek, 2013-01-25, 03:04

Dave Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 04:17 | Üzenet/Post # 365
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Still here, still playing with the hardware..... Converted the Y-axis to a ballscrew/ballnut, machined the rails smooth today, will continue with testing that tomorrow. Getting an odd series of horizontal lines when rastering vertically, but at much less than the screw pitch now. Not sure what the cause is yet. I can feel some vibration when touching the laser housing, but not on the carriage it's mounted on. I better get busy, you guys are getting way ahead of me. The mirror works are unbelievable! Jeff, have you thought about doing a full size angel to put on the bedroom ceiling? biggrin

Dave

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 11:53 | Üzenet/Post # 366
komoly tag
Idézet (Dave)
Jeff, have you thought about doing a full size angel to put on the bedroom ceiling?

Dave,

It won't be full size, but I may have the capacity to do a 4 foot by 4 foot ceiling mirror of that angel shortly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovoWMJqZyQ smok At 25IPM it may take days to engrave and I would have to enlarge my dog house to the size of yours so it will fit. facepalm

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2013-01-25, 14:49

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 16:59 | Üzenet/Post # 367
Fontos tag
Nice Jeff. You sure have been busy. When can we expect to see some projects?

John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 17:17 | Üzenet/Post # 368
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Hi Guys,

I have just made a space for machine build log's, modifications etc. http://hobbycncart.com/forum/62-216-1

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-25, 23:12 | Üzenet/Post # 369
komoly tag
Thanks again John. It's going to be some time before I have that machine ready.

I did this one today with the same settings. All the background was white which burnt dark on the back. Greyscale mode not doable on a mirror with my 1W laser diode. It needs either full power or no power. I may be able to set the minimum Z depth deeper, but considerable shade lost will occur anyway.

Tweakie, you should be able to laser 8bit shades on a mirror with your CO2. ok

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 1847416.jpg(135Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szombat, 2013-01-26, 00:43

Dave Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-26, 04:02 | Üzenet/Post # 370
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
I don't think that shades are possible on a mirror, you either have a reflective coating on the glass, or no reflective coating. Doesn't seem to me that there's anything in between the two states.
Dave

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-26, 07:30 | Üzenet/Post # 371
alapvető tag
Idézet
Tweakie, you should be able to laser 8bit shades on a mirror with your CO2.

Hi Jeff,

I think Dave is right, it's all or nothing with mirrors so the illusion of shade (as with dot-dithering) appears to be the only option. sad

Tweakie.

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-26, 16:02 | Üzenet/Post # 372
Fontos tag
Tweakie,

Agree, but I think later today or tomorrow I will try PicLaser gray scale code on a mirror to see if it does better than TTL dithering code.

This is really an interesting field of image reproduction, to me. I am somewhat surprised that, other than our small group, there doesn't appear to be much interest in laser diode imaging. With Jeff's analog control discovery, Dave's DAC circuit, and the relatively low cost of components, I would have thought we would have had a lot more cnc users participating.

John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-26, 17:47 | Üzenet/Post # 373
alapvető tag
Hi John,

With mirrors, I think that the grey-scale code will only burn through in the high value pixel areas so a lot of the image detail may be lost - but that is just a guess because I have never actually tried it.

I am not sure why there are not more participants in the laser image creation technique but maybe it is just not as easy to setup as we may think.
Like most things, once we have worked out how to do something then it appears to be easy but I still recall when I was initially struggling to achieve more than 8 shades of grey when burning wood - now it all seems quite obvious.

One more thing, which is perhaps the most important and should not be overlooked - we are using your software which you have tailor made to best suit the application. cool

Tweakie.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-26, 22:51 | Üzenet/Post # 374
komoly tag
Idézet (tweakie)
One more thing, which is perhaps the most important and should not be overlooked - we are using your software which you have tailor made to best suit the application.

Tweakie, my setup will work with any image rotary engraving software, not just John's. I could just use the standard PEP 4 version that he sells, but I sure do like all the extra options with the laser version though. biggrin

Jeff

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-26, 23:36 | Üzenet/Post # 375
komoly tag
Dave, Tweakie,

Can't is not in my vocabulary. I tried this one using Greyscale setting, none laser mode, litho running at 30IPM, .007" pixel resolution, Z-.008" minimum depth which was 2V to my laser driver for the modulation. I did horizontal & vertical which was a mistake because it started to erase what was already done on the back on the second pass. You can see it in the picture. The first pass looked promising, but without stopping and flipping it over, I could not tell. I would say shades are possible on a mirror, but not as many as there are doing it on wood. I'm doing another one with just horizontal at Z-.009" minimum depth and running at 35IPM which will be tomorrow before I can post the results.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 0647991.jpg(124Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-27, 04:52 | Üzenet/Post # 376
Fontos tag
Jeff,

Very good results. Thanks for testing.

It appears that your mirrors are giving better contrast than the ones I have been using. May I ask where you bought them?

I have an old box of mirror tiles I will try, but I'll have to cut them smaller to fit my machine. Will give them a try tomorrow.

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-27, 14:57 | Üzenet/Post # 377
komoly tag
I'm very pleased with the results of this one. I believe I may be able to back off the minimum depth to Z-.008" and run at 40IPM. John, the mirrors came from Dollar Tree. I actually like greyscale mode better on the mirrors, because you don't see any of the dithering dots and I can run them faster.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 9454450.jpg(131Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-27, 17:17 | Üzenet/Post # 378
Fontos tag
Jeff,
Stunning result. Looks as good as original photo.

Do your mirrors (from Dollar Tree) have a sort of white backing on them, and not black as on most mirrors?

I'm doing a 'gray scale' code one now. Anxious to see how it comes out.

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-27, 18:04 | Üzenet/Post # 379
komoly tag
Thanks John,

Yea, it's a real light grey almost white.

Jeff

Hozzáadva (2013-01-27, 18:04)
---------------------------------------------
Well John,

Someone else on this forum is laser engraving with a laser diode also, but not posting in this thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smm5mKbXfE They may be posting somewhere else other then the English section.

I suspect there are some lurkers out there that are following this thread and building there systems, but are not making it public.

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Vasárnap, 2013-01-27, 18:09

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-27, 21:43 | Üzenet/Post # 380
Fontos tag
Thanks Jeff. Very interesting. I see it was posted yesterday, so maybe we do have some watching quietly and doing their own trials.

Got your email re the min. depth bug in PEP. I think I was experimenting and forgot to change it back sad

John

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 19 / 51«1217181920215051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016