Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 17 / 51«1215161718195051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-11, 18:35 | Üzenet/Post # 321
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Helyzet/Status: Offline
John.

I know I will most likely control my next analog modulated laser build this way and I thank you for the information. This is what I used to turn the laser power on and off and since I'm using a separate power supply for the fans now, it has 2 10A relays on it. http://www.amazon.com/SainSma....v+relay

I just wired output pin 1 to switch them both on and off with this board.

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-11, 19:45 | Üzenet/Post # 322
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Thank Jeff,
I just bought two of these from eBay after seeing your post. Can't make my own for this price. biggrin
John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....US:3160

Csatolások/Attachments: 9412430.jpg(165Kb)

I paint with a blue light beam.

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-12, 01:33 | Üzenet/Post # 323
Fontos tag
These were done today as a quick material color study. The cards were all from the same multi-color pack. I also tried two all white samples. One was Kodak inkjet photo paper and the other was blank greeting card stock. Neither of these were more than barely marked in a few spots by my LD using the exact same file and settings as the color samples.

In person, I think the orange is the best (most gray sensitive ?) of the three. It even shows more evidence of the slight wobble in one of my lead screws.

John

This one is on heavy manilla card stock. Not a good image, but good for comparison of material color.

EDIT: Please note that although the actual color of this last sample is, in fact, a manilla folder color, it scaned almost white, which is a good indicator of this sample's reflective properties. My search for a "better" wood continues. I am also searching for a local source of two-part wood bleach, which I have used in the past when refinishing furniture. It will remove almost all the natural color of most woods and leaves them a very light even color. Because it uses 35% strength hydrogen peroxide and a strong caustic, it requires special, costly, shipping now, and most paint stores quit stocking it.
Csatolások/Attachments: 6114352.jpg(79Kb) · 9800307.jpg(80Kb) · 2170286.jpg(82Kb) · 3477657.jpg(66Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Szombat, 2013-01-12, 16:38

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 00:39 | Üzenet/Post # 324
komoly tag
John,

Those first three came out fantastic especially the orange one.

I broke down and bought some MINWAX white wash pickling wood stain today and it worked out very good. Unfortunately I had to buy a whole quart which will last me a lifetime. It did give it more of a greyscale look somewhat like the original photo. Just took a rag and wiped it on the Birch Ply until it was completely covered. I first started thinking that it was not going to burn that easy and adjusted gamma to 1.2 with .008" pixel resolution and ran it at 40IPM. WRONG, I used the original photo from online and it was just coming out to dark and I stopped it about 1/8th way into the engraving. SCRAP fudge Went back and adjusted gamma to .8, sharpenend to 15, set the pixel resolution to .007" and ran it at 50IPM. This engraving is 9.7" X 7.34" and it took 3-1/2 hours to burn.

I may be wrong, but I believe using this white stain on almost any type of wood will allow it to be engraved with a laser diode because the grains did not have any effect or even show up on the finished engraving. cool

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 2009535.jpg(164Kb) · 3433095.jpg(146Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 12:11

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 01:43 | Üzenet/Post # 325
Fontos tag
Very, very nice, Jeff. You're still The Master, for sure. It's difficult to tell which image is the photo.

I did the exact same as you, except I tried it yesterday smile I've not had a chance to redo the test yet (relatives visiting from PA), but I'll try again tomorrow with your settings for comparison.

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 01:58 | Üzenet/Post # 326
komoly tag
Thanks John,

The first one is definitely the original. I hope more experimenting with the settings will get them closer.

Jeff

Dave Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 04:58 | Üzenet/Post # 327
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
John,
You might be able to get rid of the lead screw wobble if you put the lead screw under tension. Supporting each end with two bearings and using two nuts outboard of the bearings on each end, you can tighten the nuts as if you're trying to stretch the screw. I'm using that method on my x axis, and it really helps reducing the whip effect.

The your's and Jeff's images are really really good!

Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 17:51 | Üzenet/Post # 328
Fontos tag
Thank you Dave,

But I think I need a whole new machine as rebuilding my laser one will be more effort than it's worth. I'm still thinking to get one like Jeff uses. It seem to be a good machine, and I suspect that Jeff, being a machinist, would not put up with it long if not biggrin

I received some info from the seller of my analog controller, and he affirms that I can safely turn the beam on and off simply by dropping the modulation voltage below .2v, which is the point his beam suppression circuit triggers. Since I need a minimum modulation voltage of about .9v (?) to get minimum burn amps, as soon as my relays arrive and are installed, I should then have full control of the laser diode from gcode. smile

John

PS: I also had to add a .1 ceramic cap to the DAC step input.. On several occasions the DAC would suddenly get out of sync in the middle of a long run, and I believe it was from noise on the connecting wiring. I think we discussed this possibility earlier, so I'm pretty sure I have confirmed it now.

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 17:52

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 21:29 | Üzenet/Post # 329
komoly tag
Thanks Dave,

Idézet (picengraver)
I suspect that Jeff, being a machinist, would not put up with it long if not

Your darn right John. shades

I just checked the run time hour meter we installed when we first got the little router with the added laser which it shows 466 hours. Just had to lube the screws and rails occasionally and never had any issues with it at all. I'm not wild about Chinese made tools, but I'm very pleased with this little CNC router. Now on the other hand, when I first purchased my K2CNC router, I had to do some major reworking to it. I would go into detail, but I don't think they allow cussing on here and I think there is a limit on how much text you can post on this forum too. laugh laugh

Decided to salvage the other piece of wood I stained before and added more stain to it. I knew it would be harder to burn with more stain, so I set my minimum depth to Z-.0005 and ran it at 50IPM Horizontal & Vertical. Here is the results. Oh, by the way, if anyone uses this MINWAX stain, be sure to have good ventilation because of the fumes that is created from the laser burning it. It wasn't to bad with a light coat, but this time I had to leave the shop until it was done.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 8168675.jpg(150Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 22:15 | Üzenet/Post # 330
Fontos tag
Good one, Jeff,

Do you know how many amps your LD is actually getting at full burn? I have an 2.0 amp meter in the leads to mine, and I have the controller set to 1.5 amps at max. burn. I am curious if I can go higher. From your settings I would almost bet yours runs more amps.

Amen on the stain smell sad

Thanks,
John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 22:40 | Üzenet/Post # 331
komoly tag
John,

The only meter on it right now is for the analog modulated voltage for zeroing/calibrating. Would it read correct amps from the power supply to the laser driver, or would I need to read it from the driver to the diode? If to the driver, I can make something inline from the power supply cable coming in, which I am using video cable to a RCA jack on the side of the enclosure. If from the driver to the diode, I would have to open it up.

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 22:56 | Üzenet/Post # 332
Fontos tag
Jeff,

Thanks, but it will be too much trouble to interfere with your wiring, and it's not that important. And please don't try to read amps in the leads to the diode with your present controller. The risk of blowing the diode is too great now (ask me how I know). I am doing it with my replacement diode sad , but I knew the risk before I did.

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2013-01-13, 23:32 | Üzenet/Post # 333
komoly tag
John,

Just checked the amp draw to the driver and at my normal setting where I zero Z (where diode starts to burn the wood) is .40A. At full power at the Z-.0255 depth, it's 1.61A. So it looks like I am slightly higher then yours.

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-01-14, 04:20 | Üzenet/Post # 334
Fontos tag
Thank Jeff,

That's very helpful. Considering I can only run at 45 ipm max., my current setting may be a little too high.

Back to more testing tomorrow after I replenish my scrap wood pile wink

John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-01-14, 12:41 | Üzenet/Post # 335
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Great work Guys. cool

Take it steady with those fumes - time to install a ducted fume extraction system perhaps ??

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2013-01-14, 20:40 | Üzenet/Post # 336
komoly tag
Thanks Tweakie.

Dave, I'm curious what your laser amps are considering you have the same Flexmod P3 driver and LD.

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-01-15, 01:42 | Üzenet/Post # 337
Fontos tag
Group,
How does one take a good photograph of a mirror? This is my attempt. Looks much better in person.

Mirror is 5 inches square. Lasered at 1.4 amps, 0.01 inch pixel resolution, 27 ipm. Dithered with PicDither - Atkinson option.

John

PS: Model is my bride of 52 years.

Csatolások/Attachments: 5041509.jpg(169Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Kedd, 2013-01-15, 01:43

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-01-15, 04:13 | Üzenet/Post # 338
aktív tag
Hi Jeff,
I have no idea as to the current, I'm just using a digital voltmeter to measure the voltage. Machine's apart at the moment while I install double bearings on the Y axis. Found quite a few things that weren;t as square as I thought they were. The adventure continues wink

John,
You lasered the image on a mirror? How?
Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-01-15, 04:36 | Üzenet/Post # 339
Fontos tag
Dave,
Image is dithered first. Then loaded into PEP and flipped. Mirror is placed upside down on the machine table, and engraved.

Next, scrub the burnt mirror backing paint with soap and a toothbrush. Rinse and dry and lightly scrub with steel wool or a fiber type metal polishing pad. The last step is important to remove all the loose silvering material from the glass. Lastly, paint the back with black paint.

If you engrave with the lithophane (negative) option, then do not paint the mirror back, and display it in front of a light source just like a lithophane.

Have fun,
John

"Lithophane" image mirror

Csatolások/Attachments: 3951894.jpg(169Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Kedd, 2013-01-15, 04:39

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2013-01-15, 04:53 | Üzenet/Post # 340
aktív tag
Thanks John, that is really cool! Something for me to try when mine is back together.
Dave

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 17 / 51«1215161718195051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016