Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 15 / 51«1213141516175051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 16:32 | Üzenet/Post # 281
aktív tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Helyzet/Status: Offline
I've been playing with another application for the laser, engraving a photo on a curved surface using the warpdriver program. This program will warp the gcode Z values to fit one of several shape models, such as a dish or dome. When using the C-axis to control the laser, and the warped Z values to control the laser's height to maintain the focus, it sounds workable, though I haven't tested this on the cnc yet.

I set Picengrave up so that it's using the X, Y, and C axes to control the laser, and coded up a Rexx script to add a fixed Z value to each of the Picengrave gcode lines containing an X or a Y value. This gcode file is then put through the Warpdriver program to alter the z values to fit the chosen warp model. It looks like I'll need to also make some gcode in order to route out the complete shape on the workpiece to the same curve (unless the photo image outline is exactly the same shape as the chosen model).

I got the warpdriver here: http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/warpdriver.html

and Rexx from here: http://www.oorexx.org/

FWIW, rexx is a programming language that's pretty close to writing code in english. I can post the rexx script here, but it's not of use if you don't have rexx installed. I also think that this idea won't work if the Z axis is used to control the laser's output. And yes, I said I wanted to be just a 'dumb end user' and not write code again now that I'm retired, but I just couldn't help myself surprised

Dave

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 17:20 | Üzenet/Post # 282
komoly tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Interesting concept Dave,

I thought about how to laser engrave shades on a relief wood carving, but haven't figured that one out yet with my setup. I think it could be done with your's and John's setup though. I believe that would be a neat capability and may work by adding C to control the laser's power to a relief X,Y & Z 3D toolpath after the relief is carved first.

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 17:46 | Üzenet/Post # 283
aktív tag
Hi Jeff,
I think that would work too, but it might be difficult as the 3d file would have to exactly match the image file to get the shades in the right places on the carving. With just the image on the warped surface, all the stuff's in the same gcode file except for the areas outside the image edges.
Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 18:18 | Üzenet/Post # 284
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Jeff and Dave,

You two guys are really messing with my mind with all these new ideas biggrin .

I really like the idea of burning an image into wooden plates/saucers.

I think that adding a fixed Z option to PEP4 will be rather simple, and I'll start on it today. It will eliminate the need for a script file.

Thanks,

John

I paint with a blue light beam.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 18:24 | Üzenet/Post # 285
komoly tag
Your correct Dave,

Unless the relief was created from the same image and size.

John,

Could not resist and did this one today and learned something new. Don't sharpen hairy creatures to much. laugh All I did was resize and adjusted gamma to 1.2 and ran at 40IPM.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 6189793.jpg(177Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2013-01-02, 18:28

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 18:52 | Üzenet/Post # 286
Fontos tag
Jeff,

I like!

John

Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 18:57 | Üzenet/Post # 287
aktív tag
John, I used a canned z value of z0.0000 in my rexx program, the warp driver will warp that to match the shape that you use. Warp driver will let you disregard z values higher than a specifiable value so as not to warp the retracts. I'll post the script in case that helps. I haven't tried this on the cnc yet, but the gcode looks promising.
Dave

Hozzáadva (2013-01-02, 18:57)
---------------------------------------------
it's a text file, viewable with notepad.

Csatolások/Attachments: Add-Z.rex(10Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 19:10 | Üzenet/Post # 288
Fontos tag
Dave,
Does warpdriver calculate for curve distortion of a flat image? Just curious.
John

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Szerda, 2013-01-02, 19:10

Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 19:23 | Üzenet/Post # 289
aktív tag
I think it will just warp the existing z values. It recommends using a pocket toolpath of zero depth to shape the workpiece to match the shape that you select. A v-carve tool path or one from picengrave will get warped to act as if zero z is the top of the now-shaped workpiece. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the center of the warped image to line up with the profile shape - using the center as x0y0 in both picengrave seems to make it easier, but it takes some thought to make the warped toolpath's x and y maximum's come out right. But then again, I only have one brain-cell left biggrin
Dave

Hozzáadva (2013-01-02, 19:23)
---------------------------------------------
Meant to say that you tell warpdriver how big to make the dish or dome, and where it's center is on the workpiece. And then you feed it the gcode for the image. You can have a circular or elliptical dish or dome, but it will only output gcode that was in your file. To carve the entire dish cleanly, you need to feed it a zero depth oval or circle pocket toolpath first, then warp the picengrave gcode and burn that too.
Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 19:40 | Üzenet/Post # 290
Fontos tag
Thanks Dave.

-----------------------------------------------------

I did these two this morning. Same wood and setting as previous leopard image, but I dyed the wood first with yellow food dye and alcohol.

John

Correction: The leopard wood was dyed before burning, the owl eyes afterwards.

Csatolások/Attachments: 7512298.jpg(190Kb) · 7735626.jpg(136Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Szerda, 2013-01-02, 19:43

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 20:17 | Üzenet/Post # 291
komoly tag
John,

That's cool. I wonder if you use a white food coloring how it would come out? It should be more like greyscale I would think. I tried white paint once and it didn't work to good other then the buzz I got from the fumes. crazy

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2013-01-02, 21:26

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 20:37 | Üzenet/Post # 292
Fontos tag
Don't know where to get white dye. KILZ primer might work. I think I have some and will try later.
John

Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2013-01-02, 20:52 | Üzenet/Post # 293
aktív tag
As far as the ease of burn, I'm finding that a tannish to reddish color like really old dry pine or maybe just a bit lighter than, say, mdf is about the easiest, white wood is harder to burn. Thought about food coloring, haven't tried it though.
Dave

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2013-01-03, 23:29 | Üzenet/Post # 294
komoly tag
Braille Marilyn laser engraving. I can finally feel her curves. biggrin

Had to try it and wished I would have used something other then a cheap Hobby Lobby box. Rotary engraved it using PEP on my servo router at Z-.04" depth of cut and was able to line it up exactly in my laser router. Used the same picture in PEP to laser engrave it, but set depth at Z-.0255". It actually came out looking pretty good, other then the bad area in the wood. Must be Chinese wood bondo. laugh It did not show up until I rotary engraved it.

In person it looks 3D'ish. I believe I could get away with a Z-.06" depth without effecting the focal distance of my laser. I will try it again with a better piece of wood also.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 5093562.jpg(171Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-04, 01:21 | Üzenet/Post # 295
Fontos tag
Jeff,
WOW! Absolutely stunning!
John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-04, 07:35 | Üzenet/Post # 296
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Excellent work Jeff. cool

Amator had mentioned doing something like this, a while back, to create shadow / highlight with the 3D relief's - I think you have shown that this is now a viable proposition.

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2013-01-04, 22:54 | Üzenet/Post # 297
komoly tag
Thanks Tweakie.

Did another one today at a Z-.100" depth and then set my laser focal point at half way between that.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 9086499.jpg(144Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2013-01-04, 23:00

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-05, 01:47 | Üzenet/Post # 298
Fontos tag
Jeff,

Looks like you maybe got caught looking at too many pretty pinups, too. biggrin

Another great image processing development by you. Thanks.

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-05, 04:13 | Üzenet/Post # 299
komoly tag
Na, that doesn't bother my wife any. She considers it art no matter what I engrave.

I just hated to see you and Dave in the doghouse. biggrin Your program makes it all possible and I thank you. Next I'm going to try Litho. code and see what effect I get when it's reversed.

Jeff

Dave Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2013-01-05, 06:50 | Üzenet/Post # 300
aktív tag
Hey Jeff, it's pretty cold in the doghouse too this time of year! Looks like I'll have to get busy fixing my cnc to catch up with the rest of the pack wink New lead screws/nuts arrived yesterday. Spent more time this week playing with rexx - it has a ton of dialog routines that I need to figure out . Darn, I knew that'd happen if I downloaded it wacko

Dave

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 15 / 51«1213141516175051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016