Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 13 / 51«1211121314155051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-12-10, 13:05 | Üzenet/Post # 241
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Nice job John,

You mention a threshold on the analog controller. Are you talking about the input voltage to the modulation on the Denmark duel LD driver? If so, what have you found out the threshold analog voltage in is? They state 0 - 2A modulation current and 0.03 - 0.5A threshold current on that driver. Are you using the Standby beam suppression? Just wondering how that may effect the threshold point. Please give some details on your experience with that driver so far.

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-11, 02:15 | Üzenet/Post # 242
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Jeff and All,
I was able to do some more tuning and testing today. I think I had the threshold/bias adjustment set wrong on the Denmark controller earlier. I am not using the standby beam suppression. Other than having one side bad (still waiting on a replacement unit), I like the driver. I'm only supplying it with 5 volts, but it runs very cool with the load I have on it.

The controller requires 19 bits/.26 volts from the DAC before it will produce any output current (which is 0.27 amps minimum). Although this is below the value the laser needs to lase or burn, it does mean the loss of some DAC resolution. I think a mod to the DAC output stage may eliminate this issue (working on it). For now, I've set the threshold to produce an output current of about .3 amps with the .26 input voltage, and the max output at 255 bits/3.5 volts in and 0.8 amps to the LD. These setting appear to be in the ballpark for my machine, which will only run at a blended speed of 14 ipm with a feed rate set to 40 ipm. Obviously way below your and Dave's machines (I really need Santa to bring me a new machine wink .

The attached image was burned with a max. depth corresponding to .7 amps diode current. It is a small image (2 x 2.25 inches/51 x 57 mm), and would probably be better if it had been larger. The wood is common commercial 1/4 inch - 3 ply of unknown species. Baltic Birch burns better, but I need to replenish my supply when it's next on sale. If you look closely you can see some skipped pixels in the lighter areas, especially the hand. I think this may clear up with the DAC mod.

John

Csatolások/Attachments: 2145807.jpg(133Kb)

I paint with a blue light beam.

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-11, 04:20 | Üzenet/Post # 243
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
John, that came out really good!
Dave

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-12-12, 23:35 | Üzenet/Post # 244
komoly tag
John,

Thanks for the driver info and your laser engravings are getting better and better every time. Did this one today on top of a Hobby Lobby wood box. Edited it and re-sized in PEP and then dithered it with PD using Atkinson @ .125. I think the box is pine, but not sure. Good thing it's not fat lighter. laugh

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 8122080.jpg(150Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Csütörtök, 2012-12-13, 11:27

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-12-13, 01:05 | Üzenet/Post # 245
Fontos tag
Jeff,
Absolutely museum quality. Took my wife's, and my, breath away.

Congratulations,
John

Dave Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-12-13, 03:44 | Üzenet/Post # 246
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Jeff, that is freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a B/W image for ttl mode?

Dave

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-12-13, 07:25 | Üzenet/Post # 247
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
I certainly echo those comments - truly beautiful work Jeff - my congratulations. cool

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-12-13, 12:44 | Üzenet/Post # 248
komoly tag
Thanks again guys,

I used this picture last year on a backlit Litho I made for my mother for Christmas, so I decided to use it for a laser engraving on a wood box this time. https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?....QE_uvl-

FYI, Hobby Lobby online has 3 of these boxes, 3 different sizes as a set for around 20 bucks. Then they have a online coupon for 40% off with 12 cent shipping. Shipped to my door for a little over 12 bucks. Can only use the coupon once a day, so I have been using it once a day for a week now. tongue Tis the season again, and I have allot of presents to make this year. santa

I'm very happy John changed how the code is generated for doing the TTL modulated engravings and I'm getting very, very good results as you all can see. Between using PicDither and PicEngrave Pro to do them now has exceeded my expectations considerably. I have never got them to come out this good before using PVC and Corel Photo Paint.

I have some Lithos to make also and and I'm going to use PEP for them. John, I know your software is setup for using a V-bit, but I have a hand full of .031" carbide ball end mills. Is there anything I should know in your settings that could compensate somehow before I start? I'm considering using .005" pixel resolution on them to get the detail I want. help

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-12-13, 18:54 | Üzenet/Post # 249
Fontos tag
Jeff,
I've never used small ball end mills for engraving, but 0.031 diameter will obliterate a .005 pixel, causing a loss of detail, I would think . Might get better results using .01 pixel spacing and engraving with the Horiz. 2X angle selected. This will create and place extra scan lines in the gcode so the line-to-line spacing will be spaced at 1/2 the set pixel resolution. CV will blend adjacent pixels on each line, and PEP will "blend in" the extra lines and almost completely hide the engraving ridges between lines.
John

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-12-14, 07:41 | Üzenet/Post # 250
alapkő
Üzenetek/Posts: 2207
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Jeff, awesome work, congratulations!

H1i.hu

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-12-14, 13:42 | Üzenet/Post # 251
komoly tag
Thanks Amateur.

Sorry everyone, I know this thread is for using LD on CNC machines, but my questions are relative to the same software that generates the code for both. I could not find a thread relative to Lithos and I can not create new topics.

John,

I have always used a BEM on Lithos and have gotten allot more detail from what I have seen others get using a V-bit. From reading posts on the PVC forum the biggest reason for using a V-bit is removing allot of material quicker because they start out with a 1/4" thick piece of Corian and have to cut around .200" total depth and do it in one pass. I can't do this with a .031" BEM without making a couple roughing out passes first so I use a different approach.

I start out with .5" thick Corian and pocket out an area in the back .360" depth the size of the Litho I will be making using my CNC milling machine. I leave between .200"-.250" width wall all the way around the pocket to strengthen it for clamping it down flat to my CNC router table. I can then cut the Litho on the other side of the pocket in one pass the required .09"-.1" depth using the .031" BEM with a stepover of .005". I get very good results and amazing detail with this process. I have even used as small as a .015" BEM with a .003" stepover to do a finish pass and the detail would blow you away.

The way PVC works, when you specify a tool type and diameter, it will skip over fine detail of the original image because it knows the tool is to big to go into those areas and that is when detail is lost. John, I guess the biggest question would be is there a tip diameter for the V-bit in the calculations of the toolpath using the Rotary Engraving setting? If it's doing the calculations based on a sharp point, then it should create code with the most detail that is possible. I was comparing your Pixel Resolution with the stepover setting I was using in PVC and I must have got that wrong. facepalm

Thanks. Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Péntek, 2012-12-14, 14:24

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-12-14, 14:03 | Üzenet/Post # 252
alapvető tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Hi Jeff,

I don't think anybody worries if threads stray off topic - it's all about collective learning and I have certainly learnt a great deal from this thread.

If it helps I have just opened a new topic relating to lithophanes. http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-202-1

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-12-14, 15:14 | Üzenet/Post # 253
komoly tag
Thanks Tweakie.

John,

If you want to respond in that new Litho thread, that will work for me.

Thanks. Jeff

KisKZ Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-12-14, 20:56 | Üzenet/Post # 254
alapkő
Üzenetek/Posts: 3072
Kitüntetések/Medals: 4
Hírnév/Fame: 9
Quote (JJWMACHINECO)
Jeff

It's beautifull!!!

Congratulation!

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-18, 18:34 | Üzenet/Post # 255
komoly tag
Thanks KisKZ.

I used analog modulation on the same image with Birch Ply and used Laser Greyscale, Output Laser Gcode, .008" Pixel Resolution and .0255" max depth. May have sharpened to much again, but it came out pretty good.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 4315832.jpg(318Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-18, 19:43 | Üzenet/Post # 256
alapkő
Üzenetek/Posts: 2207
Hírnév/Fame: 3
Jeff, nice work again, somehow the first try I loved better, maybe the Birch takes, but it does not seem more detailed.

H1i.hu

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-18, 19:54 | Üzenet/Post # 257
komoly tag
Thanks again Amateur,

I agree, the TTL lasered image does look better. It's been awhile since doing analog, I need to get back into the swing of things again on editing for that process. wink

Jeff

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Szerda, 2012-12-19, 00:13

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-18, 23:37 | Üzenet/Post # 258
Fontos tag
Jeff,
Both are excellent works. I will be very happy if I can come even close to your fine examples.

My replacement board arrived today, and I am just now starting to work with a modification to Dave's circuit which allows me to set both lower diode current (bias) and upper (gain) so I can utilize the full 256 bits. Only required the addition ot f two parts and a slight circuit change. I will post details when I have had more time to work with it.

Merry Christmas to All,
John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-12-24, 16:57 | Üzenet/Post # 259
komoly tag
Thanks John,

Finishing up a last minute present and I combined 2 technologies on this one. Used AC to carve a free relief I downloaded from this web site and TTL Laser engraved some text on it using PicDither and PicEngrave Pro. thumb

Merry Christmas everyone.
Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 2208068.jpg(115Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-12-24, 20:45 | Üzenet/Post # 260
Fontos tag
Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is Jeff's cnc equipment. biggrin

Excellent Jeff, as always.

Merry Christmas All,
John

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 13 / 51«1211121314155051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016