Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 12 / 51«1210111213145051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-11-11, 22:36 | Üzenet/Post # 221
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Lasered this one today and it sorta/kinda has the line effect your looking for. Converted to 1 bit B&W image in Corel Photo-Paint using halftone then line screen type and 45 degree angle with 30 lines per inch. Sorry John, but I had to generate the code with PVC and I burned it at a 45 degree angle parallel with the image lines.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 7769019.jpg(177Kb)

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-12, 14:57 | Üzenet/Post # 222
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Good job, Jeff.

Yeh, it looks like a PVC job biggrin biggrin

I have my analog setup ready to go, but one channel of the board is not working. Waiting on the seller to decide what he will do to fix before I use it.

John

I paint with a blue light beam.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-12, 15:19 | Üzenet/Post # 223
komoly tag
That don't sound good. I have two of those setting in the box they came in. I probably need to test them, so what's the best way to do that?

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-13, 21:42 | Üzenet/Post # 224
Fontos tag
The instructions in the box are pretty clear and easy to follow. You will have to solder some connection wires to them first, and mount the output transistors to a heat sink (don't omit this step - they get hot fast during setup). I used an old PC power supply for the 5VDC. Do not connect them to your LD until you adjust the outputs. The design makes this easy. It is a really nice board, but unfortunately one side of mine is defective. I got a very quick reply the other day from the seller asking me to do a simple test, but nothing further from him since I sent the test results two days ago. I just sent another follow up message this morning, and I'm waiting for his response. I don't want to use it as it is and risk the good side going out, too.
John

Hozzáadva (2012-11-13, 10:42 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Jeff and Dave,
My analog controller is up and running. It is a slick mode of operation - quiet and fast. Of course I have a lot of fine tuning to do to try and meet Jeff's and Dave's work. Thanks to the both of you for pointing the way.

Seller is sending me a new board, and said go ahead and use this one without worry. It's a nice board, and I'm glad I bought it rather than trying to build my own.

When I get something worth "bragging" about, I'll post pictures.

Thanks again guys,
John

Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-11-14, 03:04 | Üzenet/Post # 225
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
John, good to hear that you're up and running with the counter and laser boards!
Any word on the black/white bug fix? I'm thinking it might resolve a problem I had with a particular color image that contained lots of dark and white transitions that I was just blaming on the image's quality a while back.
Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-11-14, 05:30 | Üzenet/Post # 226
Fontos tag
Hi Dave,
I think I have the code working now, along with several other improvements. Now that I can check it myself, perhaps I can short-stop any added bugs smile

Will let you know soonest.

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-11-15, 21:48 | Üzenet/Post # 227
komoly tag
John,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Everything is working great, like it should. respect The first image in Corel I used auto adjust, embosssed it then converted to a 1bit B&W using Jarvis @ 50% intensity. The TTL settings in PEP was depth @ Z-.0015, retract at Zero, safe Z @ .0005 and feedrate @ 50IPM. The second one I dithered with PicDither using Threshold and for some reason it shows it a 32bit image. The material is Poplar and the settings were the same as the first TTL pulsed image. No more lines. hands

I'm analog laser engraving the first image and will post it when it's done. I really like being able to save the settings for each process now. I wonder whose idea that was? smok

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 9469085.jpg(165Kb) · 9435779.jpg(147Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Csütörtök, 2012-11-15, 22:05

picengraver Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-11-16, 06:06 | Üzenet/Post # 228
Fontos tag
Jeff,

smile smile smile I like good news. Thanks!

PicDither does not save in bitonal (1 bit) format. It saves in original file format , but images are still only 2 colors. This is due to a limitation in MS graphics routines.

More improvements on the way.

BTW, I like the "transparent" effect on the young lady image.
John

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-11-16, 13:15 | Üzenet/Post # 229
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Excellent work John and Jeff - looks like everything is really coming together well. cool

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-11-16, 14:43 | Üzenet/Post # 230
komoly tag
Thanks Tweakie,

Here is the analog lasered image. I re-sized and sharpened it in the edit program. I may have sharpened it to much, but it came out OK. John, now you can add the coding option Tweakie needs for his setup using the M10P1 and M11P1 codes. Can do engravings, lithos, TTL diode lasering, analog diode lasering and pulsing a CO2 laser. You will just need to add PicDither to the edit program. I know, here I go again. shutup

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 3820582.jpg(159Kb)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2012-11-17, 13:34 | Üzenet/Post # 231
alapvető tag
John, now you can add the coding option Tweakie needs for his setup using the M10P1 and M11P1 codes.

biggrin biggrin biggrin

Tweakie.

Dave Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2012-11-24, 00:23 | Üzenet/Post # 232
aktív tag
Made some progress this week. I've had some troubles with blurriness and jerky motion lately. I managed to improve the situation by boosting the C-axis steps/inch to 25000. That gives .00004" per step, and .01024" for a 0 to 5 volt swing. I'm running in non-laser mode right now, so the C-axis elements are on the same gcode lines as the X and Y elements. With a max depth of .010", the C moves are close to the stepover moves of .008".

There's no more hesitation on shaded images, and the image quality is really good. Also tried a 'worst case' test using a 1-bit B/W image in grayscale mode with a max depth of .010". I can see the motion slow down a bit in areas where there are a lot of black/white transition, but the jerkiness is gone there too. Image quality is very good. In ttl mode with a max depth of one step for black there is zero hesitation.

I think that the key to the problems I was having is to keep the C axis movement as small as possible in relation to the stepover. Originally, I was using 4000 steps per inch (same as my X and Y axis) it took .064" of C-axis movement to go from 0 to 5volts, and that's a lot more than the stepover distance, making movement quite jerky.

Here's a sample image done today at 60IPM (Mach3 averaged 54-55IPM) and 1.5 volt max on wood I can only describe as fossilized early orange crate. It's tan in color and burns incredibly easy. Too bad I don't have more of it in the scrap pile smile

Dave

Csatolások/Attachments: 8676874.jpg(165Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by Dave - Szombat, 2012-11-24, 00:29

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-26, 16:15 | Üzenet/Post # 233
Fontos tag
smile smile smile

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-12-04, 22:43 | Üzenet/Post # 234
komoly tag
Something seems to have changed in PEP version 4 beta 44 . I did this image and I sharpened it to 12 and the code ran somewhat jerky and I was getting dark burned areas where it hesitated the most. I have always sharpened between 10-12 in past versions even as much as 20 and the code always ran smooth. The image that is posted is the original without sharpening.

The first engraved image is with the sharpening @12 and you can see white whiskers came out black because of the hesitation. I had my setup as normal with Lasering Greyscale, 50IPM, Pixel Resolution .008", Max 3rd Axis depth -.0255, Min 3rd Axis Depth .0000", Rapid retract height .0035" with Output Laser G-code enabled and engraving horizontally. I must not have the same version as Dave because did not place the Z-axis moves on a separate line in the file. Out of curiosity, I selected 5 place decimal to see how it would run and it only generated 4 places in the file.

I also noticed it did not ignore the white areas like it has in the past and was running at -.0001" in those areas. The last engraved picture was sharpened @ 4 and the code ran allot smoother, but I did not get the detail like I have in the past. This is the first time I have engraved a fur-ball feline, so it may be just the picture I started with, or cats just do not engrave very well and that is why Dave has had problems in the past.

John, can say what has changed on how the g-code is generated in this version compared to the previous ones? It may be something I'm doing wrong, but just wanted to ask.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 1364018.jpg(118Kb) · 0090993.jpg(139Kb) · 6042529.jpg(140Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Kedd, 2012-12-04, 22:53

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-12-05, 03:19 | Üzenet/Post # 235
Fontos tag
Hi Jeff,
Glad to see you're back to laser work. Hope your probing trials were successful.

The cat picture does not have a pure white background, so PEP will not skip the background. The cat's background color value is very close to pure white (FF FF FF) , but reads FE FE FE, hence the -0.0001" values.

Not sure what you mean about the Z being on separate lines. Doing this will make the code run like in exact stop mode. Z retracts and rapid plunges, however, will be on a separate line for X/Y. Z has to remain on the same line as the X or Y axis move for CV to work.

Ver 44 had 5 decimals enabled in vertical angle option only as a test. The horizontal mode should produce gcode exactly like the previous version that worked good for you. The version I just sent (ver 51) has 5 decimal places in all angle modes, but, if 5 decimals are not calculated by the math during conversion, the last decimal will be dropped by the compiler. This seems to be a Microsoft quirk that I have not been able to find a solution to yet; it drops trailing zeros. If you input a max depth of -0.02551, for example, you should get lots (but not all) of Z moves with 5 decimal places.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think the cat image may be bumping up against the limits of what is possible with lasers and gcode. Balancing smooth running code, high resolution, and high speeds is a difficult, and complicated task, far more so than I hoped it would be. Using the rapid plunge option should help with resolution (cat whiskers), but the code will run much slower, causing the laser to burn more darkly. Using the engraving code output instead of the laser code output will produce faster, smoother running code, but will allow the laser to tend to partly burn into white pixels because of axis move blending.

Sharpening an image can also cause problems, more so in some images than others. Some of the dark whisker issue is probably due to sharpening. You can see what I mean by zooming the cat picture to max size then apply sharpening. Some white and light pixels are darkened by the sharpening algorithm to achieve the sharpening effect.

When rotary engraving a lithophane, white pixels (deepest cut) are magnified in size by the angled sides of the engraving tool. When laser burning, the opposite occurs - white pixels are reduced in size by the laser partly burning them due to blending. So far, your setup with the encoder control is best at combating this blending, as witnessed by the high quality of your images.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks much,
John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-12-05, 12:51 | Üzenet/Post # 236
komoly tag
Thanks John,

Probing worked out perfect. I had a Centroid controlled mill that had the probing/digitizing options and sold it awhile back and left me without a means of reverse engineering. I setup my servo router to probe in Mach3.

Had some issues with Art's probing wizard running in the latest version of Mach3, but Sterling's software worked perfect.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4352.0.html

You explained what I'm seeing going on with my laser. Dave's comment below is what I was talking about the Z on separate lines and I now understand what you are saying about the rapid retract and plunge setting. I did not have the rapid plunge selected.

"I'm running in non-laser mode right now, so the C-axis elements are on the same gcode lines as the X and Y elements."

I will try version 51 today in engrave mode because that appears to be the best setting for my encoder setup when engraving shades. thumb

Jeff

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-12-05, 23:13 | Üzenet/Post # 237
komoly tag
Yep, disabled Output Laser G-code in version 51 and sharpened image @ 12 again and the code is running smooth like before. New settings, new learning curve.

Jeff

Hozzáadva (2012-12-05, 23:13)
---------------------------------------------
John,

When are you going to have your analog modulated laser engraver up and running and post some pictures?

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 0938409.jpg(141Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-12-10, 01:43 | Üzenet/Post # 238
Fontos tag
Did this one this afternoon. Not up to Jeff's quality yet smile , but best so far.

Lightest colors are still skipping/missing, caused by the loss of the first few bits from the present DAC design, and from a too high threshold requirement by the analog controller (which can not be adjusted out). Tomorrow I will try Dave's method of setting up the DAC.

I am also researching the addition of a differential amplifier stage to Dave's DAC circuit to see if I can get a full range (256 bits) of laser output with an elevated zero set to where the laser just starts to burn.

Regards All,
John
www.picengrave.com

Csatolások/Attachments: 1903452.jpg(209Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Hétfő, 2012-12-10, 01:50

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-12-10, 08:06 | Üzenet/Post # 239
alapvető tag
Excellent work John. cool

Tweakie.

Dave Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-12-10, 13:03 | Üzenet/Post # 240
aktív tag
Looking good John!

Dave

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 12 / 51«1210111213145051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016