Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 10 / 51«12891011125051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Vasárnap, 2012-11-04, 23:37 | Üzenet/Post # 181
komoly tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 443
Kitüntetések/Medals: 5
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Helyzet/Status: Offline
John, I'm surprised your using a Vectric product to generate the code. Can't you do it with your own software? facepalm

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 00:22 | Üzenet/Post # 182
Fontos tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 528
Kitüntetések/Medals: 3
Jeff,
For this type of work, line engraving beats raster engraving hands down. I started writing a dxf to gcode program years ago, but never finished it - Vectric Cut2D is excellent software.

I just finished the attached for a friend. Also with Cut2D - 1/4" ply.

John

Csatolások/Attachments: 6449095.jpg(233Kb)

I paint with a blue light beam.

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 00:28

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 07:43 | Üzenet/Post # 183
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Nice work guys. cool

Tweakie.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 13:21 | Üzenet/Post # 184
komoly tag
Thanks Tweakie.

John, I used to feel that way about PVC, until I tried your program. I understand line engraving is quicker, but your program will skip white areas in a black & white image. Maybe a option to retract and rapid through white areas instead of it running at the feedrate setting would speed it up. Right now if I need to import a dxf and do a line engraving, I have an old version of BobCad/Cam to generate the g-code. Since I'm using the encoder, no special PP or commands are necessary.

Jeff

Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 13:22

Dave Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 13:55 | Üzenet/Post # 185
aktív tag
Üzenetek/Posts: 192
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 0
Hi all,
While doing some testing earlier in this adventure, I found that Mach3 will drop out of CV completely on feed mode changes like G01 to G00 or G00 to G01.

I think I'll take a day off from tree cleanup and just play in the shop today biggrin

Dave

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 20:18 | Üzenet/Post # 186
Fontos tag
Hi Dave,

Save the tree pieces for the Nor'Easter heading your way - Brrrrrrrrrr! Or move to Florida for the winter biggrin

I'm not sure you're correct about CV. As I understand it, CV mode is modal; however, a G0 command will make all axes run at full feed rate. Simultaneous moves will not be coordinated (X may finish before Y, for example), making it seem as though CV mode has changed. I will gladly accept 20 lashes if I am wrong smile Perhaps you have found a bug in your Mach version, but I've not heard of it before.

John

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by picengraver - Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 21:44

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 20:25 | Üzenet/Post # 187
komoly tag
Hey Dave,

That's why I suggested to John as an option to retract and rapid through the white areas. This would only be for speeding up a TTL modulated black and white clipart image. PVC would create the code that way when blanking out white areas and I have done allot of engravings pulsing before I started to use analog modulation and CV dropping out did not effect my setup. If you look back at the TTL modulated images I did with PVC, they came out real good. I don't want to go back to using PVC for any reason and this option would add to the functionality of his program for all types of laser engraving. Not everyone will want to setup to laser engrave with an analog modulated driver. This option would accommodate those that will want to use TTL modulated laser and a pulse card like I had setup before on my servo router running standard XY&Z g-code. Everyone feels that the way I have setup my laser engravers is to complicated and there are easier ways, but I seem to be the only one getting very good results after months of experimenting.

John, I figured out I was not loosing my mind after all. Your editing program saves the dithered black & white image into a greyscale after resizing it no matter if it's saved as a bmp or tiff. You have to edit the color image first and then save it, then dither the picture before bringing it into your main program to TTL laser engrave.

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-11-05, 21:43 | Üzenet/Post # 188
Fontos tag
Thanks Jeff,
Glad you figured out the grayscale issue. It's the result of a 'quirk' in my program coding methods. I never anticipated engraving bitonal images with PEP. I do have bitonal and TTL control covered with PicLaser, as well as image dithering. I will give this some consideration in light of now having added the laser coverage, but I'm just not sure the risk of becoming like Mach3 (never ending updates and bug fixes because of trying to do to much with one program) is worth it or not.
John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 00:00 | Üzenet/Post # 189
komoly tag
John,

There is always a work around and I will figure out how to make your program TTL modulate my laser efficiently without any more updates. I know I have probably stressed you out enough already with all my other requests. shutup

Thanks. Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 02:09 | Üzenet/Post # 190
Fontos tag
Jeff,
Absolutely not. I've had more fun working with you and Dave on PEP Laser mods than anytime in a long time. I will soon post PEP 4 to eBay, but without any of the laser stuff yet. I'm holding that out until sometime after I get my own DAC setup working.

And it's not that I don't want to add TTL to PEP. It may actually be easier than I was thinking earlier. I need to think about it more and look at the PicLaser code to see what I might use for TTL in PEP. I'll get back to you later on it.

I just got Dave's circuit working tonight, and it is amazing at how repeatable and linear it seems to be. I now need to figure out how to calibrate it. Tomorrow I will try to get it connected to the analog driver so I can run some bench tests with a dummy load before I connect it to my (only) laser diode.
John

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 13:45 | Üzenet/Post # 191
aktív tag
John, glad to hear that the circuit's working for you! Here's what I do to set it up for burning with a virtual C axis:
- In Mach's jog panel, set the jog mode to single.
- Set the jog distance to the amount for one step on your machine.
- Do an mdi move to C0.000
- Zero the counter.
- Single step jog down until it just barely burns the wood. Note how many steps it took.
- MDI back to C0.000.
- Jog up the same number of steps above zero and zero the counter.
- mdi to C0.000 - a voltmeter should be reading positive now
- Set the jog mode back to cont, position the beam and start the g-code

Jeff,
When I was using pvc, I noted that it doesn't rapid over the white areas inside an image, so I tried altering the gcode for the moves at zero height to be G00 instead of G01's. The performance was terrible and the machine was really jerky. It looked like it was running in exact stop mode to me. It took longer to do the same image that way. YMMV.

For line (vector) mode stuff, I use vcarvepro since I already have it. The quick engrave toolpath with hatching does a reasonable job. Haven't tried a real B/W run with PEP yet.

Never made it into the workshop yesterday, will try to get there today. The outside thermometer reads 8 degrees F right now, but that can't be right, can it? surprised
Dave

Dave Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 14:03 | Üzenet/Post # 192
aktív tag
Here's an analog test pattern I use to see where the burn starts. It's setup for a C0 to C-.063" move as that's the 0-5 volt range on my machine. Calibration scale to the left of multiple ramps for the burn test.

Dave

Hozzáadva (2012-11-06, 3:03 PM)
---------------------------------------------
I'm starting to lose too many marbles I think. Some of the images we've tried (like the tiger) are hand-drawn (not by me for sure) with 8 different colored bic pens. The image detail is amazing. Vcarve pro can trace by color, so maybe we could put the 8 bic pens in the tool changer???? wacko wacko wacko biggrin

Dave

Csatolások/Attachments: Analog_laser_te.txt(20Kb)

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 14:42 | Üzenet/Post # 193
komoly tag
Your right Dave,

I do remember now how PVC worked. I have it worked out with TTL and PEP on B/W images and I'm engraving one now. Will give details and post the results when it's done.

Jeff

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 17:23 | Üzenet/Post # 194
komoly tag
Well I thought I had it worked out.

This is what I found. PEP does not rapid or move to the retract set position where white is, so the pulsing is to smooth of a motion and I'm getting lines coming off the black areas. Also the type of tool is preset in PEP, so there is no way to manipulate how the code is generated. In PVC I set the tool as an engraving bit and at 120 degrees or 60 degrees per side. The flat tip diameter I set at .007" (dia of my beam) I then set the depth of cut at Z-.015 and PVC creates the code at Z-.0015". Step over is set at .008". The CV is set for Plasma and a large tolerance of 180. Also since PVC rapids or moves to retract position where black ends, if there is a long enough area where black starts again, it will rapid to that point. The outer areas that are white, it ignores just like PEP does.

I tried different depths with PEP and played with the CV tolerance, but the best I could get is a Z-.0002" depth and a Z.0005 retract. Of course PEP only feeds to Z.000 where white is and only retracts to set position at the beginning and end of the file. Attached is the result. You may be able to fix this by having the g-code go to retract position instead of it going to Z.0 were white is. I can try editing the file and see if this will work.

John, I used PicDither on the image by sizing it in your edit program first, then dithering afterwards using threshold to insure it was B&W. I notice this happening when laser engraving black text with PEP also. There are lines ramping off the black letters, so this is something you may want to consider fixing before your release of the laser version. This appeared to only happen when the black letters were placed in a white area. Where it was darker, I did not notice it. When you get your DAC and driver up and running, do a test on this for yourself. My encoder may be reacting different the Dave's circuit. I'm just trying to be able to laser engrave on harder materials like the Poplar I bought at Lowes. This would most likely work great on leather too. thumb

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 0301216.jpg(172Kb)

Az üzenetet módosította/Modified by JJWMACHINECO - Kedd, 2012-11-06, 19:50

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 20:16 | Üzenet/Post # 195
Fontos tag
Thanks Jeff,
I'm listening. Of course it's hard to relate to exactly what you are seeing with not being able to duplicate it myself. Next week I should be up with my analog control, and then can do some testing myself.

But anyone finding fault with your train picture sure needs eye glasses biggrin

John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 21:40 | Üzenet/Post # 196
komoly tag
John,
This is what it's supposed to look like. You will see the lines I'm talking about.

Jeff

Csatolások/Attachments: 2441704.gif(79Kb)

picengraver Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-11-06, 23:34 | Üzenet/Post # 197
Fontos tag
Jeff,

Thanks, I can see what you mean now about the lines, but can't explain them yet. Is this the image as you loaded it into PEP? If not, please email me the file you used. This one is a grayscale image, not a pure back and white. I'm not sure what's causing them, but it needs to be resolved.

I will be addressing the rapid retract on white this weekend, and would like to test with your same train image.

Thanks,
John

JJWMACHINECO Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-11-07, 02:35 | Üzenet/Post # 198
komoly tag
John,

That pic. is greyscale, just how I copied it off the web site, but the one I processed to B&W and used to engrave, is in my PC at the shop and will email it to you tomorrow. Your program works great for shaded images and creates smooth running code, but for pulsing B&W clipart, it think it may need that retract where white is. Like I said I will try again tomorrow by editing the file and make all Z0.'s into a retract height move and see what happens.

Jeff

picengraver Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-11-07, 03:44 | Üzenet/Post # 199
Fontos tag
Thanks Jeff.

Can I assume that a retract height should be set up so:
1 - height above Z0 is adjustable (it is now but I'm considering a special setup just for lasers)
2 - it will use a G0 OR G1 mode as the user prefers
3 - the point to begin retract (perhaps darker than pure white) is selectable

I've looked at the text on white issue, and I can't see anywhere the gcode shows signs of tails/lines/streaks from black letters into white background if the image is true b&w. So I need more help understanding the circumstances where/how this occurs.

John

John

Dave Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-11-07, 12:40 | Üzenet/Post # 200
aktív tag
Jeff,
I had tried thresholding images in gimp to get a B/W image when I was still playing with pvc. Even though the threshold output looks like black and white, it's really not 1-bit black and white. It's an 8-bit greyscale file with two colors. pvc would not give me decent output with it until I pulled it into another image program I had and converted it to 1-bit B/W. Maybe that's what is happening here?
Dave

Hozzáadva (2012-11-07, 1:40 PM)
---------------------------------------------
Or maybe the g-code is ramping from the black 'depth' to white over some distance in x as it's trying to skip over the white area?

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 10 / 51«12891011125051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016