Hobby, 3D, Relief, CNC  

[ Új üzenetek · Tagok · Fórumszabályzat · Keresés · RSS ]
Oldal 1 / 511235051»
A fórum moderátora: Amatőr, KisKZ, tweakie 
Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Diode Lasers.
tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-01-02, 11:57 | Üzenet/Post # 1
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Adminisztrátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 972
Kitüntetések/Medals: 6
Hírnév/Fame: 5
Helyzet/Status: Offline
Quote (Amatőr)
weakie, thank You for infos!
A powerful exteractor is useful, rather feel cold than being poisoned
Yesterday we were speaking about laser diodes on chat, and I think You have more experience about them so please share with us.
Your 150mW laser what materials can burn and what is the maximum speed? What optics did You used?
We are purchasing some 1W laser diodes, and not sure what is it good for with a correct optics.

The impact engraver I really like, it has a good flavour that can follow a little bended surface.
The type You use is running with constant frequency, but the stroke power is adjustabe, isn't it?
H1i

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-01-02, 12:07 | Üzenet/Post # 2
alapvető tag
Hi Amator,

Yes, the impact engraver used in the video is constant 50 Hz and the stroke is adjustable within about 1.5mm.

I have been following your discussions on chat about the diodes with great interest (Unfortunately Google Translate makes a terrible job of translating Hungarian so I miss a lot but understand a little - who knows, I may even learn some of your language) but I have absolutely no experience of the capabilities of a 1 W diode at a wavelength of 808nm. I think it is going to be as much of a learning experience for me as it is for you.
One thing I must say is that protective eye-ware is essential when experimenting as any laser diode with a power level above 100mW could easily cause serious and irreversible eye damage, even at some distance, to pets as well as humans.

The characteristics of the laser beam are completely dependant on the wavelength and for example a visible laser of 650nm will reflect off and travel through glass whereas a far IR laser of 10.6um will just cut into glass without reflection.

The diode I experimented with was in the visible spectrum at 655nm and would mark some woods (such as Obechi) but not others (such as Teak) in general it preferred dark colours and could easily burst, at a distance, blue coloured balloons but not red coloured balloons. This is perhaps why the adverts for diode lasers always show them burning black coloured items. My lens was just the plastic one supplied with the diode and nothing special. As with all lasers speed and power and focus are all related – so you need to focus to the smallest possible spot size and not expect to achieve a very fast federate.

An 808nm diode laser should perform in a similar way to a YAG laser which is good at ablating dye layers such as removing ink (tattoos ?) and marking denim without destroying the fabric. It should also be capable of marking some metals and be good at engraving the backs of mirrors.

Something that should be remembered is that the difference between ‘bright’ and ‘blown’ is a very narrow line and the manufacturers recommended current rating must never, ever be exceeded. The same goes for temperature so more than adequate heat sinking is absolutely essential.

Now this is just my opinion and is open to negotiation……
Switching a diode on / off can be an issue as diode lasers like a ‘soft start’. Once on they can be modulated at frequencies above 5kHz (check with manufacturers data sheet) without any problems but switching at low frequencies may still require the ‘soft start’ if the manufacturers expected life is to be achieved (again check with the manufacturers data sheet).

That’s about all I can think of at present.
I wish you all great success with this project and I will be learning at the same time as you.

Tweakie.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-01-02, 12:54 | Üzenet/Post # 3
alapvető tag
This picture was posted recently on the Mach forum.
It is 1.5mm North American Basswood cut (from both sides) at 100mm/min using a 445nm diode laser at 1.1 Amps. Overall this is a remarkable achievement for a 1.5 Watt diode.

Tweakie.

EDIT...... Correction to diode power.
Csatolások/Attachments: 1928855.jpg(75Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Hétfő, 2012-01-02, 18:18 | Üzenet/Post # 4
alapkő
Üzenetek/Posts: 2207
Hírnév/Fame: 3
tweakie,

Quote (tweakie)
One thing I must say is that protective eye-ware is essential when experimenting as any laser diode with a power level above 100mW could easily cause serious and irreversible eye damage, even at some distance, to pets as well as humans.

Yes, that would be my next question: What safety glasses can protect our eyes from damage? I saw some on Ebay, but don't know them. So cannot decide which would be useable.

Quote (tweakie)
Something that should be remembered is that the difference between ‘bright’ and ‘blown’ is a very narrow line and the manufacturers recommended current rating must never, ever be exceeded. The same goes for temperature so more than adequate heat sinking is absolutely essential.

I plan a strong heatsink to control the temperature, maybe I'll use Peltier element as active coolant.

Quote (tweakie)
Switching a diode on / off can be an issue as diode lasers like a ‘soft start’.

In the circuit we will use there is two different states for the laser, one is for active low state with adjustable minimal current, and one for the high level, setted for maximum current.

Quote (tweakie)
Assuming this is true (and I have no reason not to believe it) then it is a remarkable achievement for a 1Watt diode.

It's great result indeed, gives hope that we can reach this level.

H1i.hu

tweakie Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-01-03, 12:49 | Üzenet/Post # 5
alapvető tag
Hi Amator,

I prefer this type of goggles because they can be worn over the top of spectacles if necessary. You will have to choose your preferred type of eye protection that is rated for the wavelength of the laser you will be using.
I bought these ‘Lumenis’ on (ebay) for use with 1060nm – they would not be suitable for your 808nm but goggles or spectacles with different ratings are readily available. (Mine came from Israel).

How long will it be before you get your laser diode and start the trials ??

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 0602623.jpg(42Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Kedd, 2012-01-03, 21:29 | Üzenet/Post # 6
alapkő
tweakie, thank You for info, I wear googles, so this type would be the best for Me, but I'm not tender to wear two goggles on each other eek smile
I think it takes about a month until I can start any test, but I will do nothing without eye-protection.
What should I pay attention for when I choose goggles? Only the wawelenght or is there any else?

H1i.hu

elektron Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-01-04, 02:20 | Üzenet/Post # 7
aktív tag
Csoport/Group: Felhasználók
Üzenetek/Posts: 229
Kitüntetések/Medals: 1
Hírnév/Fame: 2
Hi guys !

I am an electron so I am the son of king of electricity. But leaser is an exciting theme for me mainly in high power level.

elektron (electron)

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-01-04, 08:35 | Üzenet/Post # 8
alapvető tag
Hi Amator,

The goggles have an OD rating for a particular wavelength - the higher the rating for the wavelength you are using the better.
http://lasers.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_Safety

Tweakie.

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Szerda, 2012-01-04, 18:46 | Üzenet/Post # 9
alapkő
tweakie, Thank You for link it was useful!
What is Your opinion about this?
As I see it's an OD3, 720-860 nm goggles can be useable for work with the 1W laserdiode.

H1i.hu

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-01-05, 07:57 | Üzenet/Post # 10
alapvető tag
Quote (Amatőr)
tweakie, Thank You for link it was useful!
What is Your opinion about this?
As I see it's an OD3, 720-860 nm goggles can be useable for work with the 1W laserdiode.

They look OK but I have no experience of this make or type so I cannot say for sure.

Tweakie.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-01-05, 08:02 | Üzenet/Post # 11
alapvető tag
Quote (elektron)
Hi guys !

I am an electron so I am the son of king of electricity. But leaser is an exciting theme for me mainly in high power level.

elektron (electron)

Hi elektron,

You would love one of these. biggrin

Tweakie.

kymco1 Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-01-05, 18:27 | Üzenet/Post # 12
alapvető tag
Csoport/Group: Moderátorok
Üzenetek/Posts: 857
Kitüntetések/Medals: 2
Hírnév/Fame: 4
tweakie, Sorry that I do not know English but I use google translator:)
Yet another website
laser

tweakie Dátum/Date: Csütörtök, 2012-01-05, 18:37 | Üzenet/Post # 13
alapvető tag
Hi kymco1,

Thank you for the link - that is more reading I must do.

Tweakie.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-01-13, 10:06 | Üzenet/Post # 14
alapvető tag
The very nice guy (John) who cut out the wooden 3D butterfly posted previously has kindly given me some more details on his setup and agreed that I can share them with you.

The diode he used is a 1.5 Watt 445nm Blue laser and it is detailed here. As can be seen in his photo the heat sink is aluminium about 40mm diameter and the lens is a glass 405-G-1. He is using a small 12 Volt blower which helps with the cooling but also blows the smoke away from the lens (which must not become contaminated). The power supply is home made (having started it’s life as a PC ATX psu) and provides a constant current of 1.1 Amps. He can engrave at 300 - 500mm/min and cuts thin wood at 70 - 120 mm/min (personally I would use about half this speed for cutting). He is using the C Axis direction pin for laser switching but admits that there are annoying problems every now and again. If anyone has any specific questions, please ask and I will relay the request.

I have posted my grumbles about laser switching on the Mach forum and this has been picked up by Art who has agreed to talk with Brian about re-instating the broken E1P1 / E1P0 commands which will switch a selected output pin coincident with axis movement without any delay. This command set was originally intended by Art to be used for laser switching but so few people actually used it (probably just me) it was allowed to fall into disrepair. If we can get this command set working again it will make a big difference for us all.

Tweakie.

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-01-13, 11:10 | Üzenet/Post # 15
alapkő
tweakie, thank You for sharing these infos, they are very useful. I never thought that so little power laser can engrave so high speed. Is there any info about what wavelenght recommended to different materials? Do You think is there any difference between infra and blue laser used on wood?
The switching method can be interesting for us, please share if You got some news!

H1i.hu

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-01-13, 11:34 | Üzenet/Post # 16
alapvető tag
Hi Amator,

I am not aware of any published work on the properties of different wavelength lasers and how they will interact with different materials and like you I am surprised at the engraving speed that has been achieved with a blue laser. I will, of course, keep you informed of the Mach developments.
I am looking forward to seeing the results of your and the other members, experiments with the 808nm diode lasers.

Tweakie.

tweakie Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-01-13, 17:45 | Üzenet/Post # 17
alapvető tag
Hi Guys,

Bit of a challenge for you - who can copy me and write their name on a grain of rice with their laser ?? biggrin biggrin

Tweakie.

Csatolások/Attachments: 8421937.jpg(53Kb)

Amatőr Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-01-13, 20:24 | Üzenet/Post # 18
alapkő
tweakie, Oh man it's incredible!
Anyway it's not a challenge if I can get a 1inch rice biggrin

H1i.hu

KisKZ Dátum/Date: Péntek, 2012-01-13, 22:04 | Üzenet/Post # 19
alapkő
Üzenetek/Posts: 3072
Kitüntetések/Medals: 4
Hírnév/Fame: 9
Quote (tweakie)
Bit of a challenge for you - who can copy me and write their name on a grain of rice with their laser ?? biggrin biggrin

Do you know.....
I will try it! smile

You are incredible! smile
I really like your works!!!!

tweakie Dátum/Date: Szombat, 2012-01-14, 08:53 | Üzenet/Post # 20
alapvető tag
1inch rice biggrin biggrin

Tweakie.

Fórum » Only in English » Technologies » Diode Lasers. (Using Diode Lasers with CNC Machines.)
Oldal 1 / 511235051»
Keresés:

Copyright HobbyCnCArt © 2016